Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Joe Biden places a bust of Caesar Chavez behind his desk in the Oval Office. Does he realize that Chavez would have opposed his…

Joe Biden places a bust of Caesar Chavez behind his desk in the Oval Office. Does he realize that Chavez would have opposed his…

immigration policy?

Caesar Chavez opposed illegal immigration.  He saw illegal immigrants as a threat to American farmworkers whom he was trying to unionize.  He referred to illegal immigrants as "wetbacks" and organized his farmworkers to help immigration officials.  So, he most likely would have opposed Biden's immigration plans to grant amnesty and open the borders.  So, does Biden realize this or is he just trying to bander?

Posted - January 21, 2021

Responses

He probably does not know.  And some handler put it there to pander. 
      January 21, 2021 10:33 AM MST

• It's true that Chavez was strongly opposed to illegal immigration in his earlier days but his views did change a little as he got older. In 1974, he opposed a plan to deport illegal immigrants while still warning that illegal immigrants shouldn't be used as strike-breakers: "But if there were no illegals being used to break our strikes, we could win those strikes overnight and then be in a position to improve the living and working conditions of all farm workers." He later said that the UFW would support amnesty and he supported Reagan's Immigration Act which ended up granting amnesty to 3 million undocumented immigrants in 1986. 

Chavez's views on immigration were complex. He largely saw them as a detriment to his strikes but he did support amnesty when it occurred. He might not have supported more illegal immigrants coming into the nation, that is true. That said, Chavez's legacy is important, his views on illegal immigrants notwithstanding.

I'm not aware that Biden is trying to open the borders.

(I'm sure this answer will be ignored).  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 21, 2021 11:05 AM MST
      January 21, 2021 11:00 AM MST