Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » Applebee’s, Chili’s, or TGIF? (Not all of these are nationwide, and as such may not be in your area.)

Applebee’s, Chili’s, or TGIF? (Not all of these are nationwide, and as such may not be in your area.)

~

Posted - January 21, 2021

Responses

• I love T.G.I. Friday's.  I ordered takeout from them last Friday.  It was delicious.  Applebee's and Chili's aren't in my country.
      January 21, 2021 11:39 PM MST

January 22, 2021 7:17 AM MST

It has been 20 years since I visited any of them.  When my kids were growing up we had meals at all three. I don't remember what I liked at Applebees but my kids liked a small vegetable pizza; I do remember that.  They also liked the ribs.  I remember ordering the huge fried onion at Chili's and at Friday's you could just go ahead and make my day by ordering the mushroom and Swiss omelet on my behalf.  
      January 22, 2021 3:39 AM MST

January 22, 2021 7:17 AM MST

All three are in my area, but TGI Friday's is the only one I've eaten in and only once at that.  I preferred Ruby Tuesdays, but they went out of business and I love Outback.
      January 22, 2021 7:56 AM MST

Ruby Tuesday's went out of business? 

I know they were kind of disgusting anyway, but I will miss salad bars. I doubt they'll make a post-Covid comeback. 

January 23, 2021 2:23 PM MST

They went into Chapter 11 bankruptcy and closed 185 restaurants.  
      January 23, 2021 9:52 PM MST

I didn't know. We didn't have one in the city I live. Two of my favorite local, independently-owned restaurants have closed in the wake of COVID-19. So much suffering from this virus. 

January 24, 2021 9:37 AM MST

I'm sure there have been a lot of restaurants that have not been able to remain in business.  So very unfortunate.
      January 24, 2021 9:58 AM MST

I no longer go to nationally franchised restaurants after a bad experience at TGIF. That rack of ribs could have been used as a weapon and couldn't be cut with a chainsaw. Never again.
      January 22, 2021 8:18 AM MST

We ate at Friday's quite a lot, with and without the kiddos.  One night our waiter heard me talking about fake boiled eggs on salads insisting that my husband not eat the boiled egg slices on his salad.  A few  minutes later the manager came to the table and asked if I would mind coming with him to the kitchen.  I had seen him many times so had no fear.  He gave me a tour including the freezer and refrigerators.  I never had a question about anything I ate there.  That was the cleanest, most organized, well-staffed commercial kitchen I've ever seen.  And I have actually seen a few.  Anyway, sorry about your rock ribs.  :)
      January 22, 2021 12:27 PM MST

The manager’s point was to show you that they did not use fake boiled egg slices? (I have to admit that I’ve never even heard of them. I’m well aware of fake eggs in powered form, having served in the Marines, I’ve had more than my fair share presented to me, and I after leaving active service, won’t go anywhere near them, but I can’t even imagine how fake slices of eggs would even be possible.)
    ~

January 22, 2021 1:08 PM MST

He wanted me to see everything.  During the early years of my career I was a secretary for a department head and often arranged luncheons, meeting refreshments, etc. through the company cafeteria in our building.  The food was quite good for that type of food service.  I knew the manager and always just walked back into the kitchen if I needed to talk to him.  One day I walked back there and saw a prep worker slicing a boiled egg that was about a foot long.  I was mortified.  I could not help myself but to inquire and show how disapproving I was of that whole egg thing.  After that I never let my family eat any boiled egg slices away from home.   Talk about gross!!!

January 23, 2021 10:53 AM MST

Wow, I never knew those existed! Customer beware!

~

January 23, 2021 7:01 PM MST

To this day, if I order a salad in a restaurant I say no eggs.  I explain that I do not simply mean don't put eggs on my salad, but if there were ever eggs on it to make a fresh one for me.  Once in a diner I saw them take the salad out of a cooler and remove the eggs before bringing it to me.  I won't have that either.  I actually say I'm allergic to eggs for insurance. 
      January 24, 2021 7:34 AM MST

They use them in food ads.
      January 24, 2021 8:22 AM MST

I also remember loving, as did my husband, the fried chicken salad with hot honey mustard bacon dressing.  I tried to make dressing like that and I never could make it to taste like Friday's.  
      January 22, 2021 12:36 PM MST

I can't stand Applebeast. (Try to correct my made-up word, Randy... I dare you). 

A few years ago I'd have said TGIF, but now I would choose Chili's. 
      January 23, 2021 2:20 PM MST

Drunken Donuts
    Try ‘n’ Save
    Woolsworthless
    UnSafeway
    Junk-in-the-Box
    Booger King
    Victoria’s Secret Infection
    Lame Bryant
    SuperficialCuts
    Hearse Rent-a-Car
    24-Hour Fatness
    Family Fatness Center
    I Amway Off-Center
    Coca-Colonoscopy 
    Pipsqueak Cola
    I-Hope I Don’t Get Sick
    Bled Lobster
    H&R Blockheads
    Artery’s (Arby’s)
    ChinaMart (WalMart)
    US Steel Out of Business
    Rotten Apple

(Don’t get me started.)
    ~

January 23, 2021 7:15 PM MST

Give yourself AP.
      January 24, 2021 8:25 AM MST

January 24, 2021 8:27 AM MST

Impressive. 
      January 24, 2021 9:29 AM MST

I  have enjoyed all three restaurants for different reasons. 
      January 23, 2021 3:50 PM MST

I should invite you out. It guarantees at least three dates.

~

January 23, 2021 7:17 PM MST