Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Heads up AUSTRALIA! Google threatens to disable it's search engine if a new law goes into effect. Do you care?

Heads up AUSTRALIA! Google threatens to disable it's search engine if a new law goes into effect. Do you care?

The new law will allegedly REQUIRE Google to pay news providers for their content.

Posted - January 22, 2021

Responses

It has little chance of passing, and zero chance of being permanent. Too many people rely on Google, the threat to simply disable the search engine in Australia has Scummo frothing at the mouth but this shameless money-grab by Murdererdoch will not stand up.
      January 22, 2021 3:29 AM MST

Do all roads leading to PERDITION in Australia lead through Murdererdoch R? It seems to me to be that way. It isn't follow the money in your country. It's where is Murdererdoch in this? And of course his progeny will pick where he leaves off when he dies? Glad it's just a nit gnat that can be crushed easily. Thank you for your quick reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 22, 2021 3:43 AM MST
      January 22, 2021 3:42 AM MST

I do, but I have no time for Murdoch's empire, and it would not affect just him anyway.

Essentially the Californian company is trying to claim the right as a publisher -which it cannot deny being - to copy other countries' publishers' material without paying royalties. I regard that as theft.

January 22, 2021 3:40 PM MST

Except that the Google search engine publishes NOTHING, merely providing links to published services - many of which are pay walled anyway.
    My own beef with Google is tax avoidance - this is not, it's Scummo and Co trying to siphon more money into Rupert's gaping maw (he has what amounts to a monopoly on Australian print media, the others are bit players at best). This post was edited by Slartibartfast at January 22, 2021 4:11 PM MST
      January 22, 2021 4:09 PM MST

If they passed that here, would think about going back to using Google. Just to literally make them pay. Lol. 
      January 22, 2021 6:32 PM MST