Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you always blame the victims?!

Do you always blame the victims?!

It sure is easier, no?!

They should have known better.
They could have prevented it.
They should stop feeling victimised.

Waht else can we tell them...?!

Posted - October 19, 2016

Responses

You are just lazy.
    You are defrauding your fellow citizens by taking money from social security.
      October 19, 2016 2:43 PM MDT

Good ones.
      October 19, 2016 2:45 PM MDT

• Hard one Sapphi... I don't think there is one answer ... I remember a Far Side cartoon a few years back captioned inappropriate jungle wear ... It was a safari suit decorated with a pattern depicting steaks and chops ... Funny yes, but also thought provoking.
    If a big guy thumps you because you are continually provoking him, who is the victim?
    Anyone named Solomon handy?
      October 19, 2016 3:01 PM MDT

Might be a hard one. I'm sorry, I don't always ask the easy questions. As for generalising, not making it one specific incident, would it always be the big guy who was the real victim, and would it legitimise him to thump me?!
      October 19, 2016 3:14 PM MDT

• I think in people's minds it would depend on exactly how hard you got thumped lol ... And perish that particular thought :)
      October 19, 2016 3:17 PM MDT

What if it included threats that would influence the future dramatically, not only my own life but also the lives of my children? And what difference would it make compared to a few slaps? Does the justification depend on the form or measure of the wrongdoing? 

What at if the trigger was something that is none of the thumpers business as they already had left the party, yet they think they still were in such position to decide whether or not your moves pleases them? Will it still be justified to thump? And should we blame the victim as they willingly talked to the thumper as long as they were participating in the party?

Again, should we always blame the victim? They must be guilty, right? ...or how did they end being thumped?

Why is it, we as society always look at the victims to see what have they done themselves, they must have asked for it, they haven't protected themselves good enough, etc... Why?
      October 19, 2016 3:34 PM MDT

• Sapphi... I don't have an answer ... I do believe each individual case is exactly that and the surrounding circumstances need to be examined. If a person hides a mouse trap inside a paper bag and a person gets their fingers snapped then they are an innocent victim. A person playing with a mouse trap gets snapped then they carry a responsibility for their own self induced injury ... This is a gross simplification but illustrates I think that the surrounding issues determine who is the victim :)
      October 19, 2016 4:04 PM MDT

It is no black and white, and no answer that covers it as a generalisation. Thank you for playing along, Oz.
      October 19, 2016 4:10 PM MDT

Sometimes I do but not most of the time.  If somebody's always being mean and nasty to somebody else and the person on the receiving end of the mean and nasty punches them or worse I'm going to blame mean and nasty person.
      October 19, 2016 3:19 PM MDT

Understandable, but it wouldn't be your first thought? Them being mean and nasty?
      October 19, 2016 3:37 PM MDT

Them being mean and nasty would be my first thought but this is really a question I can't answer completely without writing a book.  It would have to be something like the Manual of Who I Blame in Every Situation.

So usually I never blame the victim, like if someone gets raped the blame always goes to the rapist  She was dressed like that isn't an excuse I'll accept.  If someone's being a bully I always blame the bully.  The victim is weird or awkward isn't an excuse I'll accept.

October 20, 2016 5:45 AM MDT

I can follow your reasoning. Thank you Livvie. :-)
      October 20, 2016 6:14 AM MDT

• Its their karma.
      October 19, 2016 3:27 PM MDT

Karma of whom? 
      October 19, 2016 3:36 PM MDT

• I think that probably depends on how much of a victim they are and what they've done.  Not everyone's evaluations of these things will agree, no matter what the legal position is.
      October 19, 2016 4:32 PM MDT

A victim isn't a victim, or how should I read the 'how much of a victim'?
      October 20, 2016 8:11 AM MDT

I'm not a blamer. 
      October 19, 2016 4:32 PM MDT

Hmm. I think I have seen you blame around this place once or twice before. ;-)
      October 20, 2016 8:12 AM MDT

Oh really?  I think this is quite unfair of you unless you have a specific example.  That is like me saying that you do the same thing.

I disagree. I never BLAME anyone for anything I do.   And I take HEAVY insult to this comment of yours.

NOT a blamer.

If you are suggesting that I call out people who deserve it?  That is hardly blaming.  That is calling out someone who deserves it.  Not calling out someone to take the blame of something I am at fault about. 

I am the first person to apologize if I am proven wrong.  You prove that I did this, and I will apologize, but you won't be able to since I NEVER do this.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 20, 2016 1:53 PM MDT
      October 20, 2016 1:51 PM MDT

I still recall you creating a question about me because you thought I wasn't replying you on a post you made inside a blog of mine. It felt hurtful and like a false blame on my part for not wanting to reply you whereas I've always replied on any comment you have made for me, even your non-replies on my quizzes. That was a blame in my book. I won't drag in examples that involves other persons, but that one should be enough to say you have blamed someone here at least once. Sorry Sharonna, but that is how I see it. Im sorry you take heavy insult with this as I don't like insulting people or call them out on something I cannot back up with words. I'm fine with it all now, but it didn't help me on the stress I felt back then dealing with what I dealt with. Again, I'm sorry that I have insulted you.
      October 20, 2016 2:07 PM MDT

Grab a sausage and throw it high until your arm hurts.

I'm tired, but it's my fault, I blame myself.
      October 19, 2016 4:33 PM MDT

October 20, 2016 8:14 AM MDT

• If they truly are a victim, then no.

Real victims blame the individuals that abused them and criticise unjust laws. They don't try to make society responsible for what happened to them. Passive aggressive cultural Marxist types who uses their victimhood (real or made up) as a political weapon to claim society owes them something, can just f*** off.

Telling victims how they could have avoided their suffering is not blaming them for anything. It's just a common sense way to avoid future suffering. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 20, 2016 1:29 AM MDT
      October 20, 2016 1:23 AM MDT

Passive aggressive types won't be defined by political observance. I take it you're not an Marxist, no?

Btw, this question was a NON-political one. YES, they do still occur although one should think not.
      October 20, 2016 8:16 AM MDT