Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » AT&T, Cricket, LG, Sprint, T-Mobile, Net10, Verizon, V*s*ble, Xfinity, etc.

AT&T, Cricket, LG, Sprint, T-Mobile, Net10, Verizon, V*s*ble, Xfinity, etc.

What are the names of some cell phone service provider companies that you remember having existed at one time but are no longer in business? 

Since the first cell phone (or mobile phone) service provider companies emerged over twenty years ago, many of them have come and gone. The strongest ones that survive today are in deep and fervent competition with each other for market share. It’s not always the largest or the best companies that remain in business, admittedly, some of them are pretty crappy.

They might have been small regional entities, or subsidiaries of larger conglomerates, or country-specific, or attached to a particular product line. This question only refers to the service side of the business, not phone manufacturers, phone designers, etc. Of course, some companies did both service and products (hardware), so if your answer includes one of those, it’s the service side that I’m interested in here. 

Thank you.
~

Posted - January 24, 2021

Responses

LG? The 'phones themselves are still made even if it no longer has its own network. A quick look on-line revealed its 2021 catalogue.

I don't know about the other companies you list, but LG caught my attention because I had one of their LG2017 so-called "smart"-'phones on EE (now part of BT) in 2017. I sold it a few months later, paid off the rest of the 2-year contract, and stayed with BT Broadband augmented by a basic DORO 'phone on PAYG - and I can't remember its network.

February 25, 2021 11:08 AM MST