Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Zack
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Is anyone here still having issues where they get redirected to our old site? (As of 10/19)

Is anyone here still having issues where they get redirected to our old site? (As of 10/19)

Early on, I told people who had cache issues to come in through beta.answerMug.com. I'm talking to a member who is still getting sent back to our old site. If you or someone you know keeps getting sent to Mug limbo, will you please comment here or PM me? I need to compare devices, browsers, and locations to find out what it could be. Thanks!

Posted - October 19, 2016

Responses

Sounds like some people are having DNS cache issues. If people know how, they can clear them themselves. Each machine/OS uses different methods, so it would be best if people google searched "*their machine/OS* clear DNS cache". Sometimes routers will need to have their cache cleared as well.

DNS caches are not browser caches, so clearing your browser cache/history will not work.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I have some sausages, so I thought I'd share them.
      October 19, 2016 4:53 PM MDT

I just tried logging in via beta.answermug.com - I got in but It wont show questions at all.
      October 19, 2016 5:49 PM MDT

Right. Some people had issues where some part of their syste remembered where the old site was, and so even when they typed answerMug into their browsers, they'd go there, not here. The only way they could get in was through beta, but that had problems of its own, like the feed and sometimes getting shipped off to the old site while they surfed here. You shouldn't be using beta. It was a last resort for people who could not get in otherwise. 
      October 19, 2016 7:30 PM MDT

• I was having these issues using an android tablet... I did all the usual things including reinstalling new and old browsers but still no help ... Eventually thought about the local ISP utilised DNS server ... Changed that in my modem to a Google DNS server, IP addresses are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4     problem gone! ... If you are still having this problem this should or may help... But to do it you do have to log into your modem to change a setting so if you know a local friendly geek :)
      October 19, 2016 6:28 PM MDT

Thank you for sharing this!
      October 19, 2016 7:21 PM MDT

• I have the same problem but only with certain browsers. I have a Puffin flash browser that always redirects me to the old site even though I've deleted it and reinstalled it. Safari is ok, it's just other installed browsers.
    Is there residual material on my ipad that nears clearing? Doesn't it get automatically removed when the app is deleted?
    Device: iPad. Browser: Puffin. Location: UK

I wish I was more geeky. 
      October 19, 2016 11:53 PM MDT

Puffin brags a lot that it loads sites very quickly. I can only imagine this is because it has a very strong cache. I tried to find information related to clearing the Puffin cache, but I didn't see anything. So, I emailed them. I will let you know what they say. Most apps do remove your data, but maybe Puffin stores it somewhere else? Or, maybe they keep their own DNS (site address data), allowing them to speed up their browser. I don't know anyone else on Puffin, but hopefully we can get this squared away. I'll keep looking into it as well.
      October 20, 2016 12:11 AM MDT

• Thanks, JA.
    I just reinstalled Puffin again - other flash browsers do the same thing and takes forever to load the site.
    I logged in with beta.answermug.com and, although I can log in, it shows very little content, only ads. 
    I think you're right about it storing data elsewhere. Not having a PC I'm kinda limited with what I can manipulate, you know?
    Thanks for your help, and your response!
      October 20, 2016 12:21 AM MDT

• There's a recurring problem, regardless of browser, which is getting chucked off the site at regular intervals. 
    I can't always blame Sapphicheart's profile page for the overload )
    Is there a way to minimise that?
      October 20, 2016 12:24 AM MDT

Grrrrrrrrr. I changed it for you, removed all the glitter and... You need to upgrade your Sapphic Alert before entering my page! *bleh* This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 20, 2016 11:01 PM MDT
      October 20, 2016 12:49 AM MDT

• Why did you edit your answer. What did you remove. 
    Sapphic Alert? Have I missed something?
      October 20, 2016 12:54 AM MDT

By mistake 'before' was spelled with a capital 'B'. ;-)

Edit: this time 'by' was missing that capital 'B'... Hmm. Seems to become today's issue. Capital 'B'... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 20, 2016 1:26 AM MDT
      October 20, 2016 1:24 AM MDT

• Hey Lucia ... A simple test can tell you what the problem is :)
    If you use your device at home and you can't reach the site then try using your smart phone... Your phone will use a different DNS server than your home network ... If this works then you have to change DNS servers in your modem ... The DNS server is a web site the modern uses ... Think of it as a directory ... You ask for answer mug and it looks up the address and send you there ... Changing this setting in your modem might sound scary but it's pretty simple and you will find easy to follow instructions on the web ... Don't hesitate to write if you need help, ok?
      October 20, 2016 5:01 PM MDT

• I have a portentious feeling you might be hearing from me indeed. Thank you, Oz.

(use 3/4G and not the wifi router, right?) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 20, 2016 11:34 PM MDT
      October 20, 2016 11:27 PM MDT

• Correct. ..
      October 21, 2016 12:48 AM MDT

Puffin's response: 

If you want to clear cache in Puffin, please go to settings->clear browsing data->cached images and files.

That's all they said. As far as getting booted, yes... that's going to keep happening as long as you use Beta. I can't stop that. You really need to be coming in through the main site- answerMug.com. I only brought people in through beta who had cache issues that prevented them from coming in through the regular site. That's not a good way to be here, but it at least got you here. Every time you click on something that says answerMug.com, your system is remembering the old site. Most of the links here skip the site name, and so your browser knows to keep you where you are, but if it says answerMug (without the beta), your system is going to look up where it thinks answerMug is, and it's got it wrong.

Here's instructions on how to clear a DNS cache on an iPad: https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-change-dns-on-iphone-ipad/

It could also be tied to your router or modem. If you're logging in at home and you've already cleared the iPad's cache and the browser's cache, you can try OzGirl's suggestion, but it involves some tech knowledge because you have to change some settings within those devices. Equally, you may find a simple solution by googling the name of your modem and router and looking for how to clear its DNS.

One of these cache fixes should work and allow you to type answerMug.com into your browser and come directly here, without the constant boots.

I don't use Puffin, but someone else informed me that it also compresses and stips code in order to make it run faster. Opera mini does the same thing. While these types of browser can speed loads, they have the tendency to totally jack up websites- you won't see the same things as everyone else, nor will you have full functionality. That's the way those browsers are designed, though. They're doing what they're made to do. Good for speed, bad for experience and interaction. 

October 20, 2016 4:46 PM MDT

• Thank you, I'll give it a bash.
      October 20, 2016 11:28 PM MDT

• I don't know how you word your emails but Puffin is working perfectly now.
    Excellent!
      October 21, 2016 4:22 AM MDT

Woah. I don't know if I really had anything to do with it, but I'm glad it works now. :)
      October 21, 2016 1:24 PM MDT

Yes, I am.
    ~
      October 20, 2016 11:02 PM MDT

Please shoot me a message when you have time (or post here- we have some good helpers) and let me/us know what device you're using (phone or computer), what operating system you have (Apple/ iOS, Windows, Mac), and what fixes you've already tried. 
      October 20, 2016 11:36 PM MDT