Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » I periodically see the packages on various food products say 'Home Style' or 'Homemade'.

I periodically see the packages on various food products say 'Home Style' or 'Homemade'.

Did you ever wonder whose home they are referring to? I have asked that to store clerks and they never seem to know.

Posted - January 31, 2021

Responses

Well, I assume they came from a "home" where someone knew how to cook.  Around here it's - 

"Frecon's  homestyle charcoal... just like mom used to make."
    and
    "Swanson's Homemade Succotash - there's a firefighter inside every box (just add water)."

Of course, they may have gone too far putting 'homemade' on a bottle of liquor.  (Mmmm, mmmm... It be just like that there stuff yer cousin Billy Bob used to make)
      January 31, 2021 3:54 PM MST

I've never really wondered that. I assumed it's meant to lead people to believe that they can pass it off as if it wasn't pre-packaged crap when they serve it. 
      January 31, 2021 6:49 PM MST

That’s like me going into the 99 cent store, following an employee around and asking, “How much is this item?”
    “And how much is this one?”
    “What’s the price on this one?”
    “How about this one?”

The police have been called on at least three occasions so far. Grrrrrrrrrr.

~

January 31, 2021 9:29 PM MST

I do hope I am not detecting an unwarranted insinuation here that commercial interests are out to hoodwink and bamboozle gullible shoppers, in order to relieve them of their hard-won earnings.    
      February 1, 2021 7:45 AM MST

February 1, 2021 9:16 AM MST

But indeed you are. There is a price to pay for being dimwitted.
      February 1, 2021 12:30 PM MST

Laughing. Thanks.
      February 1, 2021 10:51 AM MST

The small print usually shows the cosy country cottage making the delicious home-made cakes or whatever, is called something like "Unit 8, Bellevue Trading Estate,... "
      February 6, 2021 3:00 AM MST