Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Not counting cable cars, subways or trolleys, are you one of those people who has never traveled by train? ~

Not counting cable cars, subways or trolleys, are you one of those people who has never traveled by train? ~

Posted - February 7, 2021

Responses

Yes. Also never by trolley, subway nor cable car.
      February 7, 2021 8:23 PM MST

No.  I have taken Amtrak from Buffalo, New York to Penn Station, New York City.  I have also taken Amtrak from Penn Station, NYC to Pennsylvania. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at February 8, 2021 7:59 PM MST
      February 7, 2021 9:35 PM MST

I took the train across country many moons ago.  Really did enjoy it, the clickety clack of the train tracks was somehow soothing.
    Unfortunately the train was rounding a bend a big half circle type.  I was a 1/3 of the way back on the train when it hit a vehicle.  When the train stopped the driver of the car that was hit was just outside my window, laying in the grass. He was in bad shape. 
      February 8, 2021 4:43 PM MST

No.  When I was a child my dad worked for Southern or L&N Railroad (I can't remember which) and we could ride the train for free.  As an adult my husband and I liked the train trip from home to New Orleans as well as the other route that went to Miami.  Train travel was fun and relaxing and safe...you never heard of train crashes.  Today the trains travel too fast and the rails are not kept in tip top shape either....I think both of those contribute to the problem.  When my older daughter was in college my younger rode the train to visit her quite a few times.  She felt so very grown up to travel alone and spend a few days free  of parents.  So, no, trains have been part of my life.  The routes I liked have now been discontinued. 

Also, we went to NYC many times over the years and stayed with relatives in Montclair, outside NYC.  We would walk to the corner and take a bus to a little train station and from there ride a train into NYC. 

I would like to take the train trip that goes around the perimeter of the country.....if it still exists.
      February 8, 2021 9:33 PM MST