Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I NEVER eat anything that doesn't taste good to me. I don't care how HEALTHY it is. I don't eat it. Do you eat what is unpleasant because?

I NEVER eat anything that doesn't taste good to me. I don't care how HEALTHY it is. I don't eat it. Do you eat what is unpleasant because?

Posted - February 8, 2021

Responses

Life's too short to eat kale, cucumber, green bean, spinach and riced cauliflower smoothies.  I mean, there's a reason wny the Good Lord created chickens with wings ... even though they don't fly much.

February 8, 2021 11:11 AM MST

Oh. Have you ever eaten LACINATO KALE? It is my favorite and I buy it all the time at our local Sprouts market. As for cucumbers I prepared them two ways yesterday. With an oriental vinegar and also some with garlic apple cider vinegar mint and Greek yogurt. A staple in all Armenian homes. Cucumbers have virtually no calories so munching on them is not going to put weight on you. Years ago when I was a teen and had a summer job my daily lunch was cucumber slices with jack cheese. Didn't need to be refrigerated! We LOVE GREEK SALAD and this mainly tomatoes onions cucumbers feta cheese Greek olives and a Greek salad dressing. I think cucumbers ROCK! We eat spinach braised or raw in salads. We eat broccoli and cauliflower every week. Nothing is riced and I don't drink smoothies. I like to chew my food not drink it. Jim likes smoothies but doesn't make 'em often. Different strokes! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      February 9, 2021 1:54 AM MST

I was being a tad humorous, as this question immediately made me think of my sister and her "smoothies".  My sister is a complete health freak.  She had a bad habit of mixing things from her garden in  blender, diving over here and say, "here try this.  It's really good, but tell me what you think".  I swear, some of those things tasted like she threw in some of the weeds.  To her, sugar is an abomination, so she used "natural" sweeteners (pineapple (yuck!!!), blueberries, drop of honey, and such).... if she even used any any at all. 
    I too prefer to chew my food.  

Cucumbers are ok in salads or in a bowl of ice water, but they aren't my favorite food.  I like to eat a bell pepper for lunch.... picked straight from the garden.  And if they've ripened enough to turn red... delicious!!!!   Not the red ones like you seen in the store (that's just a variety), rather ones that have grown in the warm sun and turn dark red from being overripe.
      February 9, 2021 10:31 AM MST

Boy now I'm confused. Bell pepper. I thought it was ONE thing and as it stays on the vine it changes color. We have the green, the red, the orange and the yellow in our stores. Often often I will see red with tinges of green or orange with tinges of yellow. So you now are telling me that isn't how they grow?  So how come I can get the dual color ones? Thank you for educating me in advance Shuhak. Every week I buy bell peppers. The green are the cheapest and the other colors are more expensive. Once a store had them all at the same price...I bought one of each color and stir fried them with potatoes cauliflower and broccoli and it really turned out to be a delish dish...very colorful! Then there are stuffed peppers which I make on very rare occasion. Too much trouble! Thank you for your informative reply. Your turn now to fill me in about bell peppers if you don't mind. Please and thank you! :)
      February 10, 2021 2:36 AM MST

The colored ones you buy in the stores are varieties (like tomatoes).  You buy specific pepper plants at the nursery that will produce red, yellow, green, or even purple bell peppers.  Technically, all bell peppers (except the purple ones) start as green and then turn colors as they mature (again, like tomatoes do).  I grow Sweet Bells (green).  I've tried the others (except purple), but my growing season here is so short that they don't mature.  My sister grows purple Bells... and yes, they’re purple.

Bell Peppers are a perennial plant, meaning they will grow and produce for years.  They’re also a tropical plant, meaning they love warmth (but not excessive heat), sunshine and water.  

Thanks to my elevation, all the trees (especially the redwoods), and the fact that I'm on the north facing side of a hill, any warmth and sun quickly ebb around late August to early September.  Much like leaves on trees turn colors when the sun and temperature wane, so do Green Bell peppers.  Eventually some will start to turn a light red (much the color you see in stores), a few, however, will turn a deep maroon red.  It's the pepper turning to sugar.  These peppers have a sharp - almost tangy - yet very sweet flavor.  No comparison whatsoever to those bland red things you get in stores.  One has to be careful, as do colorful autumn leafs, these peppers only last for a very brief time and then rot.  Sadly, it gets so cold here so fast that only a few of my peppers ever turn this color.  Most just turn black.  They are still edible, just a bad color. 
      February 10, 2021 10:57 AM MST

You sure do know a lot about the subject Shuhak. Thank you for sharing that info with me. We eat them raw too with salsa or of course cut up in salads. They brighten any dish both tastewise and eye wise. Some people have problem with the green bells. They cause burpimg for some reason. :)
      February 11, 2021 4:03 AM MST

I eat things that may be unpleasant to others...like sardines, bleu cheese, licorice etc. I don't eat foods that are unpleasant to me.
      February 8, 2021 1:50 PM MST

My dad loved KIPPER SNACKS. I like them too. I LOVE any kind of "blue" cheese. Gorgonzola Stilton Roquefort too. And LICORICE? i always have some available in the house when I get the "craving". But things like sweetbreads or sausage with entrails in them? Just the idea of it turns me off. I don't know if this is true but I have heard that in the middle east eyeballs of sheep are considered delicacies and to refuse to eat them when offered is considered disrespectful. I wonder if throwing up afterwards is also considered disrespectful? Thank you for your reply E! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 9, 2021 10:34 AM MST
      February 9, 2021 1:15 AM MST

Ooh. Kippers. I'll have to get some. Have you ever had a blind robin? Smoked salted herring.

February 9, 2021 10:36 AM MST

No! Where do you buy it? I think I might have told you over the years I worked with a DEVOTED fisherman. Every weekend he'd go out to fish from San Diego. He smoked the fish he caught and sometimes would bring it in to share. I have never in my life had such delicious smoked WHITE FISH. The smoky flavor was from the wood he used..not that crappy in bottles mix. It was to DIE for. He was very generous in  sharing. You know I remember foods that were stellar outstanding almost more than anything else! Memorable meals! I wonder why I don't weigh 200 lbs? Thank you for your reply E and the graphic! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 9, 2021 12:03 PM MST
      February 9, 2021 11:58 AM MST

We had a store that sold them, but they closed. I bought a whole box once when I visited Maine. I love smoked lake whitefish. We have a fish market that sells it.
      February 9, 2021 12:01 PM MST

OMG E! A WHOLE BOX? I never get jealous/envious of anyone for anything but I kinda am envious about THAT! You are so massively lucky. In Hemet there is no fish store and in the markets I don't buy the prepackaged "smoked" fish because it ALWAYS has "smoke flavor" or whatever it's called in the ingredients. I know it will be crap tastewise. Boy oh boy... well enjoy if for me will ya? Bagels, cream cheese and smoked white fish? Who could ask for anything more?  Some sliced onion too couldn't hurt! Thank you for your reply. No I'm not crying but well I am kinda misty eyed. SIGH! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 9, 2021 12:55 PM MST
      February 9, 2021 12:07 PM MST

How Kosher is that?
      February 9, 2021 12:56 PM MST

Hahahahahahahaha! We're off and running! Food...wonderful food. Glorious food. I wonder if anyone has ever written a poem about it or an ode?

Back in the day the place to go after a movie or whatever was CANTER'S DELI near Hollywood! OMG the food they served was to 'die for' in the best way possible. It was a local hangout. Matzo Ball soup to die for too. I tried to make it and my matzo balls always were leaden and heavy. The corned beef on rye was sky high and LEAN. The half sours I could live on alone!  Even the Pastrami was lean. Knishes and chicken liver pate. Good rye bread of course and also the marble rye which you don't see anywhere. Hemet doesn't have any kind of ethnic deli as far as I know. Not even Italian much less Jewish. I wonder why? Oh well maybe it's because Jewish folks retire to Florida? I bet Florida is loaded with fantastic Jewish Delis. Besides those there used to be middle-eastern delis too where I could find things from my childhood that my grandmother used to make from scratch! Lahmajoon (Armenian pizza) and she even made paklava from scratch. I'd watch her in amazement as she would pull the dough by hand so it became very very thin.. Memories.....Thank you for your reply E! :)
      February 10, 2021 2:03 AM MST

I've had smoked herring and it is delicious. What I like even more is smoked whitefish. I tried some for the first time several years ago when I was in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan. Smoked walleye isn't too shabby either. :)
      February 9, 2021 1:47 PM MST

I agree about the smoked whitefish.
      February 10, 2021 11:48 AM MST

If it's healthy/good for me, I'll eat it. It's just a matter of the benefits far outweighing the inconvenience of a bad taste.
      February 9, 2021 12:06 AM MST

I heard raw earthworms are good for you.
      February 9, 2021 10:37 AM MST

I'll check it out. :)
      February 9, 2021 1:15 PM MST