Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What is the worst gift or present you have ever received and what was bad about it? ~

What is the worst gift or present you have ever received and what was bad about it? ~

Posted - February 10, 2021

Responses

My wife bought some router bits. I don't own a router. She had no idea what they were.
      February 10, 2021 7:13 PM MST

I got a hideous-looking sparkly, leopard-patterned coffee mug from a co-worker who either doesn't know me at all or doesn't like me. 

I would re-gift it, but I don't hate anyone that much. 
      February 10, 2021 8:56 PM MST

A fur coat.  Seriously, I just thought it was horrid and looked like a fullback in it.  Hubs was understanding and I returned it to the furrier for a complete refund.  Boy oh boy, did I have fun that day.  I came home with a new set of leather luggage and a new wool coat with a mink collar that was beautiful and I wore for years.  I had plenty of money to put back into our bank account. 
      February 10, 2021 9:36 PM MST

My first apartment was a studio that was so hot that I had to use the air conditioner even in the winter.  That year, my then-boyfriend bought me a long, quilted robe for Christmas.
      February 10, 2021 9:47 PM MST

Lol!
    ~

February 10, 2021 10:22 PM MST

Best answer! 
      February 11, 2021 2:58 PM MST

I couldn't believe he could be that dense.
      February 11, 2021 4:33 PM MST

Yeah, that's pretty dense.  But he may have spent a lot of time picking out something you would just love.  I'm trying to remember if I ever sent bathrobe gifts to NYC relatives.  ;)  I'm curious if you all still have measured telephone service there. 
      February 11, 2021 4:55 PM MST

Somehow, i think he didn't spend nearly enough time thinking about what I would just love. :)  Not sure wheat you mean about measured telephone service.
      February 11, 2021 7:28 PM MST

Measured service charges you by the minute for local calls.  When visiting NYC a lot of years ago it was my first experience with measured local service.   I was just curious.
      February 12, 2021 10:54 AM MST

By that definition, I do have measured service on my landline, which is why I use that for incoming calls and outgoing "800" calls and I use my cell for all outgoing and long distance calls.  I don't know if all the phone companies have that plan, but Verizon does. 
      February 12, 2021 11:34 AM MST

Generally local calling is provided via flat rate.  The telecoms are phasing out landline service.  I remember from Sandy that the NY utility commission would not let Verizon replace landline services delivered by destroyed telecom outside facilities with cellular home phones.  But ATT and CenturyLink are both phasing out.  I do not want to live where I can't have a landline and mine is currently grandfathered....no new landline service is being provided here where I live.  ATT is really in trouble and I think they are crazy for abandoning traditional landline service.  But, they didn't ask us retirees what we thought about it. 
      February 12, 2021 12:33 PM MST

Verizon does have a flat rate plan that allows s specific amount of local calling.  Most of my calls are made outside my area code, so it was less expensive for me to go on the "pay per call" plan for my landline and use my cell for all non-800 calls.  I would be very unhappy if they do away with landlines.  When 9/11 happened, people with only cell phones couldn't make calls.  It's worth it to me to pay for a landline even if it's only for emergency use.  
      February 12, 2021 12:54 PM MST

You bet!  There is no other form of communicating (other than in person) as safe and secure as landlines.  I won't give mine up voluntarily either.  It cost almost three times what my mobile that stays turned off all the time does. 
      February 13, 2021 12:32 PM MST

I know what you mean.  I don't plan to give us my landline any time soon either.  My landline and cell cost about the same and when I add my $17.99 for life cost of internet, the total is about $96 a month.  I don't have it bundled, so I could switch my cell service to a less expensive provider and I'm thinking about it.  
      February 13, 2021 12:39 PM MST

• My third boyfriend came to my place for Valentine's Day.  He brought a cheap gift.  It was still in the bag from Walmart and the receipt was still in the bag.  I saw the time and date on the receipt.  He came directly to my house from Walmart.  It was something he wanted me to wear, but Valentine's Day is in summer.  It was something I don't want to wear in the summer, so I thanked him for buying me the weapon that I would use to strangle him.  I asked him if he wanted to be left behind dumpsters in an alley or dumped in the river.

The next morning my neighbor knocked on my door.  He is sweet.  He heard me yelling at my boyfriend for the bad gift, so he gave me a heart-shaped box of chocolates and a bouquet of flowers.
      February 10, 2021 11:17 PM MST

Gee, your neighbor’s move sounds strangely familiar to me, I don’t know why . . . 

Oh, wait!  I think it just dawned on me. (Cough, cough.)

February 10, 2021 11:44 PM MST

• Come in, Randy.  It's safe.  I'm out of mayonnaise, so there is none of it in my apartment.
      February 11, 2021 12:13 AM MST

Thank you!  Hold on a minute. You travel internationally, how can I be sure there’s no Vegemite in there? Grrrrrrr. 

~

February 11, 2021 12:15 AM MST

• I've never been to Australia, but Boyfriend Number Five was from Australia.  If you find it under something, it's not mine.
      February 11, 2021 12:18 AM MST

Grrrrrrr. 

~

February 11, 2021 12:20 AM MST

You are guilty as charged.  hahahaha :  )
      February 11, 2021 2:02 AM MST

Is that an invitation?  I’ll be right there. 

~

February 11, 2021 6:38 AM MST

You always have an open invitation Randy.  
      February 13, 2021 6:39 AM MST