Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Given a choice to either donate your blood or sell your blood, which do you or would you select, and why?

Given a choice to either donate your blood or sell your blood, which do you or would you select, and why?

The local blood bank (of which I am a longtime member) is a county-wide non-profit business organization that is in competition with the American Red Cross and plasma-for-pay centers for that precious liquid in our veins.

Beyond the sheer satisfaction of doing a good deed for our fellow humans, there are some perks that the blood bank offers to donors. Personally, among the various lures, I hardly ever take advantage of anything more than the t-shirts they give away every now and then. I am not familiar with the way things are run at the American Red Cross blood donation centers.  

The plasma-for-pay centers have a reputation for attracting street people down on their luck and starving college students, but I have no direct knowledge of whether that’s accurate or not, nor do I know how much money is offered per drop of blood.

All of these blood-related services have screening criteria.

~

Posted - February 11, 2021

Responses

I used to donate, but since I'm on a blood-thinner, I can't do that now.  Even if could, I wouldn't sell it.
      February 11, 2021 8:01 AM MST

Same as spunky. I would donate. Hey...free cookie and OJ.
      February 11, 2021 8:55 AM MST

The plasma-for-pay sites give the free snack and liquids also, it’s a health-related action, because it helps to start the body’s rejuvenation process in compensating the loss of blood volume. 

~

February 11, 2021 9:15 AM MST

I know...but I still can't donate due to my meds. I would never sell it.
      February 11, 2021 12:15 PM MST

My choice is always to stay away from needles.   Targeted donations for family would, of course, be considered.
      February 11, 2021 3:53 PM MST