Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Alex Trebek. What are your thoughts on the direction that the “Jeopardy!” game show has taken (so far) after his passing?

Alex Trebek. What are your thoughts on the direction that the “Jeopardy!” game show has taken (so far) after his passing?

Soon after Alex Trebek passed away on November 8, 2020, it was announced that several episodes of the game show had been recorded in the preceding weeks, and would be aired throughout December. It was also announced that no specific plans had been finalized as to replacing his hosting position with someone else. 

At that time, I had mixed reactions to the replacement idea. I didn’t even want to look at a screen depicting some schlub deigning to fill his shoes. I doubted I would ever watch any such a thing. Little by little, however, when the names came out as to whom might be selected, I warmed up to it over time. Once Ken Jennings took the stage, I watch every episode and have loved his performance from the start. He shows reverence to Alex Trebek not only on his declaration that he himself knows he can’t replace Alex in our hearts, minds and acceptance as host, but that he can honor the memory by doing a tribute in carrying out the duties. 

I am disturbed, though, that a long list of other people are still being considered as tryouts for this hosting job, some of them are clowns whom I would not watch falling out the top floor of a burning skyscraper. If they’re going to be put in there to seek ratings or to make the show “hip” or “cool”, I will bail. Don’t change the show TOO much, especially not to make it some hip-hop, pants-sagging, profanity-laced, pop-culture, lowest common denominator- ratings grab. Leave Ken Jennings there, that’s my opinion. 

Companion post: https://answermug.com/forums/topic/123978/it-occurred-to-me-about-a-week-ago-that-with-the-passing-of-alex/view/post_id/872352

~

Posted - February 13, 2021

Responses

Jennings may not want that position permanently.  I think he is a good one.  I share the same horrors though.  I like his very last words of each show, Thanks Alex. 
      February 13, 2021 12:55 PM MST

I believe that why he’s only being placed there temporarily and it’s why others have been named as possible also-rans.

:[

February 13, 2021 6:22 PM MST

Katie Curic (spelling?) lost her opportunity.  God, she is annoying and would ruin the show.  I would not be able to watch unless I muted it.  Seems that might really take away something since I would never hear the answers.  ;)
      February 14, 2021 1:16 PM MST

I didn’t want to name specific names, but now that it’s out in the open, hers is one of the main ones I would not like to see considered to host the show, and completely I agree with your assessment of her.

February 14, 2021 1:32 PM MST

I saw a list of 7 possibles and only knew of 4 of them.  All four were horrible to think of.  The idea of any political (news people) is horrible.  Betty White doesn't inspire.  I didn't like anyone of this list.  Anyone from mainstream media should be discounted too.   I don't even like any of these 15. 
    https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/who-will-replace-alex-trebek-jeopardy-host/

I didn't know that Jennings was a co-producer. 
      February 14, 2021 2:00 PM MST

I just hope that they (the producers or whomever the decision-makers are) don’t try to “jazz up” the show by giving it an “American Idol” or “America’s Got Talent” vibe.
    :|

February 14, 2021 2:25 PM MST

I haven't even thought about that.  Ryan Segrest is on that list and nobody, I mean nobody, can do Hollywood tacky like him. 
      February 14, 2021 2:28 PM MST

Randy is going to be ill. 

:(

February 14, 2021 2:30 PM MST

Sorry.  I could not even click the like button for this.    We will survive.  If they do something awful we will write letters and make noise....that's all we can do.
      February 14, 2021 2:33 PM MST

I hope that wasn't a serious list. I just saw a list of the guest hosts that are going to appear. When I saw that Dr. Oz was on the list, I know that whoever is in charge has no idea what kind of people watch Jeopardy.
      February 14, 2021 6:12 PM MST

My sister mentioned Dr. Oz and we both said UGH!!!  
      February 15, 2021 10:26 PM MST

So, Randy, do you normally like to watch people falling out the top floor of a burning skyscraper?

BTW, my mom watched Jeopardy at 5 p.m. every single weekday. I knew if I needed to talk to her and make it brief, that I should call at 10 to 5. She would be home and she wouldn't talk for more than 10 minutes. Since Mom died, I have not been able to watch Jeopardy. It was just too sad for me.
      February 13, 2021 5:26 PM MST

No, I don’t watch that type of thing at all, which is why I stated that I wouldn’t want to watch it happen to those people whom I despise. 

~

February 13, 2021 5:51 PM MST

I so understand.  My mother drove me crazy for a lifetime.  Now she is in assisted living down here close to me and I am so blessed and happy to have her close by.  She's 88 and going strong physically.  She's a bit mental but she's been a bit mental as long as I can remember. 
      February 14, 2021 1:20 PM MST