Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Zack
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » This is way weird. I clicked onto a link to an alert about a response and when I got there the replier/respondent was gone. What happened?

This is way weird. I clicked onto a link to an alert about a response and when I got there the replier/respondent was gone. What happened?

Posted - October 21, 2016

Responses

• That's happened to me as well. I guess it's just another glitch. 
      October 21, 2016 4:58 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Karen. I'm  glad to know it's not just me!  Happy Friday to thee! :)
      October 21, 2016 5:20 AM MDT

• Happy Friday,  Rosie. :)
      October 21, 2016 5:41 AM MDT

Thanks honey! :) ((hugs))
      October 21, 2016 6:53 AM MDT

I, too, have seen this.

My inference is the moderation staff has removed the content, but removing the content doesn't delete the notifications related to it.

October 21, 2016 5:26 AM MDT

Oh. I wonder if there would be any way to connect them OS? You know if the content is removed the alert is removed too? Mahalo for your reply and Happy Friday!  :)
      October 21, 2016 6:54 AM MDT

Most likely either a moderator or the user themselves deleted a reply.I I don't believe alerts are deleted at all after they are sent.
      October 21, 2016 6:53 AM MDT

Would there be any way to connect the two m2c? If the content is deleted the alert would automatically be deleted as well? I know nothing about how you program things so maybe it would be impossible to do or if possible too expensive. Thank you for your reply. It was a very benign question. Some of mine aren't but this was about  "what is home? Is it a place or people"? Seems innocuous enough to me not to make any waves. :)
      October 21, 2016 6:57 AM MDT

I don't really know anything about the programming that would be all JA's end.  I can ask her about it, if you like.
      October 21, 2016 12:02 PM MDT

M2C and OS are correct. Those are notifications for content that has been removed. On this site, I made it so members could both edit and delete their own content. Actually, the other day, I asked a grammar question and someone answered incorrectly. I tried to leave a reply for the answer, but it gave me an error that the content didn't exist.... after I had typed it all up and hit the post or reply button. I refreshed and, sure enough, that person had caught their own mistake and deleted their answer to me. So, content disappears for all kinds of reasons. 

As far as joining the two so alerts know something is gone, I suppose it's possible. Does Facebook even remove alerts for deleted content? I don't think they do. Hmm... Something like that would require a whole lot of programming changes, if it was possible, but then we we come back to the fact that the content creates notices that goes to personal inboxes, activity feeds, drop down notifications, and the notifications feeds, as well as to some places in my admin panel. Feedback, reports, etc.... 

If it can be done, I have to wonder if it would be worth the effort. After all, we can't go to people's inboxes and remove stuff. And, what will disappearing notifications mean to members? Let's say someone on the site and sees their counter drop by five or something. Odds are, they're going to think the notifications are deleting good ones. Perception is a rather odd thing. I think people who go out searching for "glitches" are going to find them, even when there are none, simply because they lack comprehension. 

Food for thought though. I don't know if there is a way to address this that will make sense to everyone and improve the experience overall. But, at least the mystery is solved for today.
      October 21, 2016 1:16 PM MDT

Thank you for your comprehensive reply to my question. It  was an idile one. I know zero about the intricacies of computer programming. It all seems like magic to me. What is difficult to accomplish and what is easily done are all the same to me. It just occurred to me if it were a simple  "fix"  it would be cleaner. It's certainly not a  glitch. It is simply the way it was programmed to be. Happy Monday JA. I appreciate the time you gave to explain it to me! :)
      October 24, 2016 2:07 AM MDT