Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Would you like something new to worry about? Ever hear of NDMA? Nitrosodimethylamine?

Would you like something new to worry about? Ever hear of NDMA? Nitrosodimethylamine?

It shows up in chlorinated water, some foods and drugs in TRACE amounts. The gubment places a limit on how much each pill can contain of 96 nanograms. Here's the problem.

NDMA can form while sitting on store shelves, in your medicine cabinet or even after you have swallowed it. It is contaminatef during the manufacture but doesn't stop there. Whatever you test for at the manufacturing level isn't all there is or the end of it.

It is found most often in drugs for hypertension, diabetes and heartburn. Some such meds were recalled awhile ago for the high levels of NDMA at some point whose names I do not know.

So if it keeps increasing after manufacture it cannot be controlled.

How old are those pills in your medicine cabinet?

How long does it take for shelf-sitting to create a drug that may be harmful? I don't know and I don't know if those in the know know.

So now you know. SIGH.

If I find something else you can worry about I shall let you know. Meantime? Well good luck.

Posted - February 22, 2021

Responses

Mercury in the water, arsenic in the soil, asbestos in the rocks and buildings, radon lurking in the ground, solar radiation bombarding from above, beetles barking in the trees, rattlesnakes hiding in the bushes, black widow spiders skulking in nooks and crannies, bears and mountain lions roaming the streets, prices rising, trees falling, GMOs, OMGs, fires, droughts, COVID....... and now you want me to worry about NDMA??  (sigh)  Well, ok... I guess I can fit it in somewhere.... Lets see... my closest opening is on Friday September 24th.  How's that sound?
      February 22, 2021 12:37 PM MST

Not to mention DHMO.
      February 22, 2021 1:18 PM MST

Lets see... I have worrying about Hg in DHMO scheduled for tomorrow at 10 am tomorrow.  I guess I could split the time and worry about each one separately... of course, I have to be careful and not let the session run over, as I have "global warming " scheduled at 10:10, and worrying about that usually gets me heated.

This post was edited by Shuhak at February 23, 2021 2:18 AM MST
      February 22, 2021 2:30 PM MST

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! AARRGGHH! :) Here's the thing Shuhak. You know I use EVERYTHING that comes my way for questioning.

Scheduling worry..that's a new one on me. I'm gonna use it to see if others schedule theirs. I won't mention your name unless you give me permission. I will just say "an Answermug friend if you prefer anonymity. Now I have permission to use Spunky's name so I do. May I have  permission to use your name for future use? This post was edited by RosieG at February 23, 2021 9:42 AM MST
      February 23, 2021 2:18 AM MST

Oy! :):):)
      February 23, 2021 2:17 AM MST

:)
      February 23, 2021 2:23 AM MST

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! GOOD GRIEF Shuhak I just giggled/laughed my head off! You have now added to my worrybag. OMG's? Friday September 24 RETROACTIVELY or futurely? Well it's a jolly good way for me to start the day figuratively and literally. BRING IT ON I say. What could it hurt? Thank you for your reply and  me  "food" for thought. Others may add to it! Why not? Happy Tuesday to thee and thine m'dear! :)
      February 23, 2021 2:17 AM MST

DHMO is much more of a problem. Inhaling it can cause rapid death. In the solid form, many people die from it every year. Rigorous chemical tests have found it in ALL drinking fountains. Violent criminals have a very high amount in their bodies. Beware.
      February 22, 2021 3:24 PM MST

I will GOOGLE DHMO since I don't know what that is. SIGH. It's like mercury. There's no getting a handle on it without killing yourself figuratively speaking. Anything else you might share worrywise? I'm kinda joking but kinda not. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      February 23, 2021 2:25 AM MST

So am I. Look it up.
      February 23, 2021 9:05 AM MST

You are telling to do what I told you I planned to do. The point of that? I said I would GOOGLE it. You said "look it up". WHY? I don't get it. Thanks though for showing up and participating.
      February 23, 2021 12:51 PM MST

The best way to deal with DHMO in its solid form is to dilute it with various varieties of C2H5OH.
      February 23, 2021 2:53 PM MST

I do that periodically. (Once a day.) EtOH makes a great mixer.
      February 23, 2021 3:03 PM MST

Rosie - ever been had? If that DHMO is what I am pretty sure he means....   :-)

Surely this NDMA though can only form from the right compounds containing the appropriate elements, and in the right conditions. If it's in water it might be something that occurs naturally and not related to chlorinating the water (it has no chlorine in its name), but otherwise I take it that it's a breakdown product or impurity that occurs only in certain medicines.

Shuhak mentions asbestos in the rocks. Well, certain rocks, that is; by no means all. It is a naturally-occurring mineral particularly associated with igneous rocks like granite. Same with radon gas, emitted by the breakdown of trace uranium in igneous rocks especially. It can drift through fissures in overlying rocks and sometimes accumulates in cavities like caves, mines and cellars to potentially hazardous levels, but is easily warded off by barriers or ventilation.

The one hazard Shuhak omits is....  existing.
      February 23, 2021 3:19 AM MST

Life is a major hurdle, Durdle. And yes, DHMO is what you think it is. An old joke.
      February 23, 2021 9:07 AM MST

I don't know if I will ever forgive you for this.
      February 23, 2021 12:57 PM MST

I'm sure you will.
      February 23, 2021 1:02 PM MST

Ever been had? Moi? ALL THE TIME. Know why? I EXPECT people to tell the truth as they know it to be. I don't ever expect people to set me up so they can knock me down. At this age you would think I might have learned that lesson? But no. So I'm guessing you are telling me this is such an occasion? Well it wouldn't be the first time nor the last. I am a proverbial believer. Now if on the face of it there is no logic to it of course I smack the crap out of those people. But if it is an area that requries expertise or esoter/arcane knowledge how could I know someone was trying make me look foolish? I can't. I don't. I can only be me Durdle. Thank you for your informative. Did I answer what you lead with? Have I ever been had?
      February 23, 2021 12:55 PM MST

C'mon...you are only one of thousands who fell for it. Some college students went out with clipboard with a petition telling everyone about the Dangers of DHMO. Many were convinced and signed it.
      February 23, 2021 1:05 PM MST

Wasn't there even a senior politician who was so taken in by the joke that he called for this mysterious DHMO to be banned? I think that's how it became widely-known.

On a planet covered naturally over much of its area with the stuff: DiHydrogen  Monoxide, or H2O, or Water.
      February 24, 2021 2:59 PM MST