Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What BEDAZZLES you most? Appearance (beautiful/handsome)? Accomplishments(titles/awards)? Intelligence? WHY?

What BEDAZZLES you most? Appearance (beautiful/handsome)? Accomplishments(titles/awards)? Intelligence? WHY?

Posted - February 24, 2021

Responses

I'll answer with the first thing to come to my mind with the first question I saw this morning on the site, your question.

This movie BEDAZZLED me -- if I were forced to choose, I'd call it "The Best Movie I've Ever Seen"

Director Lars Von Trier's "Dancer in the Dark"

WHY? -- the movie took me to all sorts of places with characters for whom I quickly cared; an emotionally powerful movie that I plan not to watch again but my life is forever changed for the better -- 

(and an added bonus for me: Catherine Deneuve is in it, too- - an underrated actress in my opinion) singer/actress Bjork is in this scene, she wrote all the music in the movie

This is my favorite scene in the movie:

February 24, 2021 6:18 AM MST

The SWAN lady? Can you give me any specifics m'dear or do you simply need to keep that private? I cannot think of a single movie I've ever seen that changed me forever. There are many that touched me deeply but changed me? I don't think so unless it might be they stretched my ability to understand things a little bit more that I normally wouldn't have a chance at doing. There are bits and pieces of movies that stay with me. Excellent storyline..superb acting..substantive and meaningful and deeply moving. "I couldda been a contender. I couldda been somebody instead of a bum which is what I am". That breaks my heart from On the Waterfront with Marlon Brando. Years ago Dean Stockwell, then child actor, was in a movie titled "The Boy with the Green Hair". I loved that movie. A Tale of Two cities. "It is a far far better thing I've done than I have ever done before. It is a far far better  place I go to than I have ever been" That was said by Ronald Coleman as he awaits death. Spartacus. I AM SPARTACUS. I AM SPARTACUS. I AM SPARTACUS. Yankee Doodle Dandy.  "My father thanks you my mother thanks you my sister thanks you and I thank you." I may not have the exact words in the  orderbut they are part of me. Gone with the Wind."Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a dam*! and "I'll think about that tomorrow".  Wizard of Oz."I don't think we're in Kansas any more Toto.".  "Rosebud." Citizen Kane. Sorry. I got caught up in it WQ! Thank you for your reply and Happy wednesday to you and yours! :). This post was edited by RosieG at February 24, 2021 5:59 PM MST
      February 24, 2021 7:09 AM MST

The movie changing me forever is, for me, simply along the lines of movies you've shared in your reply to me - - to me, having moments like that with a movie, do, indeed, change me forever; even if it's simply that they stay with me. If they stay with me, they have changed me forever. :)

And your well-written explanations to me about how some movies have affected you? I'd suggest that those movies have changed you forever. If you can say about a movie --  "it might be they stretched my ability to understand things a little bit more that I normally wouldn't have a chance at doing," then, I might suggest the possibility of the movie having changed you. :)  Your words I quoted can possibly fit for me with "Dancer in the Dark."

How this movie blended music, drama and a strong and moving plot, along with superb-to-me delivery by all involved - - that all changed me. 

I know no movie has moved me like "Dancer in the Dark" - - and even that fact alone changes me.  :)

I hope this made at least a little bit of sense, ha!
    Thanks for your thoughtful reply to me!

February 24, 2021 6:10 PM MST

Made sense? OF COURSE it does WQ. Through all the years of our chatting you have never NOT made sense. I would say to you TOUCHE. Of course you're right. I have no way of knowing whom I would have been without having seen those movies. Anything that causes me to think ponder wonder expands me so there ya go! RIGHT AGAIN my friend! RIGHT AGAIN! I'll Google the movie. I know that's not remotely the same thing as seeing it but it will be able to give me a slight idea of the content. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to you WQ! :)

Okay I just came back from having Googled it WQ. Know what I thought of when I'd read through it?

A TALE OF TWO CITIES

If you are familiar with the plot at the end of the movie as he awaits a fate HE CHOSE Ronald Coleman says

"It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done
    It is a far far better  place I go to than I have ever been"

He dies for a crime someone else committed.

Beyond that honestly I see nothing in it I can relate too positively. As I said reading a synopsis of it can't possibly take me to the same place of having seen it. I kept trying to see where it would have changed you positively. I kept waiting for a fine moment..an AHAH. I could not find one. It is a very sad tale of despair with a bit of hope vis a vis the son's vision. But all the rest of it? I dunno m'dear I guess "you had to be there". Thank you for sharing it with me though. I appreciate it.

Oh..did you perchance see the movie THE SHAPE OF WATER? I think that's the title. I'll Google it to make sure and come back and correct if needed! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 25, 2021 5:06 AM MST
      February 25, 2021 3:12 AM MST

Thanks, Rosie. I'm in a bit of a rush now, have to get moving-- but since you did look up "Dancer in the Dark" (thanks!), I'll add some more to what I was saying. In general, when I talk about movies with others, I am careful to always avoid talking about plot details. I, myself, never like to know about a movie before seeing it.
    So, since you already know about "Dancer in the Dark", I'll now tell you - - I saw the movie only once. And I'll, most likely, never watch it again because it was so emotionally overpowering for me. Whether or not I watch it again, I still would call it the best movie I've seen, and I'm very glad I saw it -  a masterpiece to me. Yes, it's very sad but that, for me, diminishes nothing in how it affected me in wonderful ways.

And, for me, some of the movies for which I hold great respect are movies I would not watch more than once or twice.

got to run -- sorry- - thanks. Again, hope i made sense, ha!
    Be Well!
    :)
      February 25, 2021 5:06 AM MST

Thank you and please STAY SAFE! :)
      February 25, 2021 5:57 AM MST

You, too.  :)
      February 28, 2021 3:01 AM MST

Thank you! :):):)
      February 28, 2021 3:05 AM MST

I don't think I've seen the "Water" movie.
      February 25, 2021 5:07 AM MST

If you Google it and read the synopsis that is exactly what the movie is about. I found it to be hauntingly beautiful. In essence you have two entities who are alone and very very lonely. Two different species but it matters not. At the beginning she feels pity for the creature and tries to help with no other motive than to protect him from becoming a lab experiment. Over time it becomes so much more and the ending is beautifully rendered in my opinion. I think love can come from all kinds of directions and whenever it does you have to go with it It was very romantic and I believed every fantastic moment of it. She did not find the difference in appearance to be frightening or offputting. She just reacted with a kind heart at the beginning. Anyway it is one of the more haunting movies I've ever seen. I'm sure some would find it to be preposterous or disgusting even. Different strokes. Some of the scenes stay with me. As a lifelong loner and odd duck I know what it feels like to not fit in. I also know what it feels like to have some kind folks reach out and pull me in. No not because I'm a different species from homo sapiens but because I am not the popular desirable embodiment thereof. What I just wrote makes complete sense to me WQ. I don't know if does to thee unless you're an odd duck too like me! Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 25, 2021 5:55 AM MST

Thanks for more details -- I do admit I didn't read too closely your most recent reply here because, in case I watch the movie, I don't want to know anything about it first, ha! :) I'm that way with every movie, not wanting to know details about anything about it.

Even when going to movies with friends - - during the opening trailers of coming attractions, before the main feature? I was the one who left the theater to go get refreshments for all of us so I wouldn't see the trailers that show way too much of a movie for my taste, ha.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 28, 2021 3:01 AM MST
      February 28, 2021 3:00 AM MST

I can understand that completely WQ. I think movies or books fill a void in us and we don't have the same ones. I like minor key melodies...they are haunting. I like bittersweet. Happy endings are what Jim much prefers but life doesn't always give us happy ending. Even so it can be and is beautiful if you stop to smell the roses enough! Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to you and yours m'dear! :)
      February 28, 2021 3:03 AM MST

I agree.

Thank you! Getting ready to go to work.

And me, too - -  much of my favorite music is in minor keys, or bittersweet, too.

Maybe later some time I will share some of my favorites. One piece in particular came to mind. 
    I have to run now, though. 
    Be Well.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 28, 2021 6:24 PM MST
      February 28, 2021 3:12 AM MST

You work on SUNDAY? Oy vey! Thank you for your reply WQ and gave a great day! :)
      February 28, 2021 3:44 AM MST

What bedazzles me the most is the beauty of Almighty God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, God's Word, and God's creation. :)
      February 24, 2021 9:38 AM MST

Great reply ru. Thank you for your response and Happy Thursday to you and yours! :)
      February 25, 2021 3:12 AM MST

Thank you and a happy Thursday to you also. :)
      February 25, 2021 12:08 PM MST

You're welcome and thank you back! :)
      February 25, 2021 12:54 PM MST