Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Which works better for you? Reading the book THEN seeing the movie or seeing the movie THEN reading the book?

Which works better for you? Reading the book THEN seeing the movie or seeing the movie THEN reading the book?

Posted - February 28, 2021

Responses

I would much rather read the book first. That way I could trash the movie. Tom Clancy's 'Sum of All Fears' was an excellent read, but the movie sucked. Not accurate at all.
      February 28, 2021 9:46 AM MST

Was the movie version ever better than the book? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      March 1, 2021 5:10 AM MST

Not even close.
      March 1, 2021 7:11 AM MST

Ditto.
      March 1, 2021 7:21 AM MST

I don't like reading, so I'd rather see the movie.
      February 28, 2021 12:25 PM MST

You don't like reading? Always or just as you've gotten older Shuhak? That literally shocks me! I used to devour books when I was younger. But I've had eye surgeries and while I can read without glasses (I have an intraocular lens implant in one eye) and  I don't need glasses sitting at the computer I find I "scan" things now whereas before I'd read every word. Newspapers magazines I "skim" through and read the headlines and move on. I miss a lot of detail of course. Sigh. Thank you for your reply m'dear. Have you had any eye surgery? :)
      March 1, 2021 2:30 AM MST

I've never been into reading (like books).  Maybe I find reading to be too slow, I don't know.  I prefer to write than read.
    I need glasses to read, although I can still get by without them on the computer (barely).  

No eye surgery.  When it comes to eyes, I'm extremely squeamish.  Just having an eye exam is hard enough (yes, I have fainted there).
      March 1, 2021 11:10 AM MST

Reading is too slow? It goes as fast as you can read so you are always in control. Jim is a very slow reader. Me I dance along very quickly. What caused you to say it's slow? Oh maybe you mean it's static? Just words on a page rather than watching a movie or TV show? I can understand that. Well later on you may require cataract surgery which is no big deal at all. I've had several. The intraocular lens implant was big. I carry a card in my wallet giving the specifics. I had the surgery 5/7/97 I had to keep my head down for like a week. My son drove down from "up north"(Foster City) to stay with me for a week to make sure I kept my head down. We putzed around together while he there and folks stared at us a lot I expect. Me with a hoodie on to remind me to keep looking down and an eye patch over a bandage over my eye looking down at the ground.  He put the TV on the ground at home so I could watch it! A LONG time ago! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 1, 2021 12:54 PM MST
      March 1, 2021 11:41 AM MST

I probably do mean static.  I have the imagination to "see" them, but not the desire.  Maybe I'm just lazy.  I'm not a slow reader, but I'm not a super speed reader either.  {Slow readers usually look at each word, while speed readers generally skip the small words (and, the, but, a, (etc.)) and the irrelevant or repetitious stuff.}  

I'm not an eye person.  I do not like looking at eyes.  And just the thought of someone touching them creeps me out.  EW!
      March 1, 2021 1:30 PM MST

Wow! Something we are at the opposite ends of the spectrum about totally Shuhak. Which happens VERY rarely. The first time I met Jim I noticed his eyes. He inherited me when the hair stylist I went to named Christie left the salon and moved away from Riverside. The shop manager asked with whom I'd like to make my next appointment and I said "I don't know anyone else so whoever is available would be fine." So I arrived the next time and around the corner came Jim. The first thing I noticed was his "kind eyes". I am not joking. I am an eye person. I love eyes that glisten and sparkle with good humor. Eyes that are dark and angry are not my cuppa tea. It is said that "the eyes are the window to the soul". I don't know about that but my first impression about Jim via his eyes was that he was very kind and that has never changed. I was right! I wonder where it began for you? About having a surgeon touch your eyes? If not having it done causes you to become blind I bet you would overcome that aversion in a heartbeat. You know what I can't get past vis a vis pleasurable reading? Dialect. I tried to read  a William Faulkner novel years ago...I don't remember which one. And he used a very heavy southern dialect for some of his characters and I just could not get with it. I don't know why. I don't think it's being lazy that's the problem. I think it's just not comfy for you. Writers have a certain rhythm. My favorite is John Steinbeck. He pulls me right in immediately. His early stuff was based on his life and the people in it. William Saroyan too. Armenian author who wrote about things I lived being of Armenian descent. Do you have a favorite author even if you don't read a lot? Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Tuesday to you and yours! :)
      March 2, 2021 2:36 AM MST

No, no favorite author.
      March 2, 2021 9:07 AM MST

Oh? Oh. Thank you for your reply Shuhak. :)
      March 2, 2021 1:05 PM MST

In my experience, if I've read the book, I've almost always found the moving lacking.  For one thing, when I read a book, I imagine the characters in a particular way.  Central casting rarely agrees with me.  The only times that the movie wasn't a disappointment is when I read the book a long time before seeing the movie so that I don't recall the book in great detail.   
      February 28, 2021 1:25 PM MST

Lots of times the movie doesn't precisely reflect the storyline. The powers that be want to jin up the storyline so they put in a hot babe or some terrible conflict to add glamor. Rare is the book that finds its way to the screen intact. When we watch "historical" movies I always Google them later on to learn what the real story was and once in a rare while it is EXACT! Gotta glam it up apparently. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 1, 2021 2:27 AM MST

I agree. :)
      March 1, 2021 5:44 AM MST

:):):)
      March 1, 2021 5:44 AM MST

If I've read the book, I've learned to avoid the movie. The only exception has been the Harry Potter series, largely because Joanne Rowling was included in the process as script advisor.
    I was so disappointed with The Fellowship of the Ring that I've never watched the rest of it and never will, I vowed never to make myself endure another Peter Jackson abortion disguised as a movie.
      March 2, 2021 1:11 PM MST