Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If you are a fan of ORGANIZED LABOR (unions) you cannot also simultaneously be a friend to CORPORATIONS (the bosses). Can you?

If you are a fan of ORGANIZED LABOR (unions) you cannot also simultaneously be a friend to CORPORATIONS (the bosses). Can you?

Which do you side with? Why?

Posted - March 1, 2021

Responses

I worked as an AFL-CIO member from 1967 to 1994. Frankly, I'm not a fan of unions, especially today. Mainly because unions function as labor cartels. A labor cartel restricts the number of workers in a company or industry to drive up the remaining workers' wages, just as OPEC attempts to cut the supply of oil to raise its price. Companies then pass on those higher wages to consumers through higher prices, and often they also earn lower profits. Yes, unions are good for those who belong to them but they are bad for the economy as a whole.

What am I a fan of? I am a fan of free enterprise/market.  I side with those who offer jobs, hire you and then give you a chance to succeed at said job. Without the restrictions they place and politics they insert on this whole process. I side with the employers who deal with you in an honest, unbiased manner and who treat everyone with the respect and dignity that's due them.

March 1, 2021 7:26 PM MST