Active Now

Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » When someone responds directly to a question I ask I reply. When someone responds to another respondent do I jump in/stay out? Why?

When someone responds directly to a question I ask I reply. When someone responds to another respondent do I jump in/stay out? Why?

Posted - October 22, 2016

Responses

I'd say it all depends on how you would behave when you jump in.  For example, if you are discussing politics, and a person responds with an inflammatory remark, and another person responds with that person, are you going to back up either of the respondents, or are you going to incite further micro-aggressions with your comment?  If it's to back up somebody's point of view, by all means, that is what the internet was originally implemented for; if it's to incite anger and aggression from somebody because you dislike what they had to say, it would probably be best if you avoided that troll.  Telling trolls to go back to their bridge rarely elicits the response you are looking for.
      October 22, 2016 5:44 AM MDT

You aren't familiar with me Olivia-Kate. I avoid insult. I try to be kind. I ignore people who show up just to attack/insult. I do not suffer time-wasters patiently. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Since I'm the one that  asked the question when I see people talking to others and the conversation is going very well (aka civil, thoughtful or cordial) I am tempted to join in. But I usually don't because I think that would be rude. To interject myself into a conversation between two people without asking if they would mind my joining in does not appeal to me. Yet I would like to acknowledge their presence and their conversation. I could of course simply "like" the conversation but then how would the folks know that it was me  who liked it? I think they would like to know if the person asking the question they answer acknowledges their contribution.
      October 22, 2016 6:54 AM MDT

• No, I'd say you seldom reply, and only when you get an answer you feel you agree with, or a factual answer. It's no big deal, and you can certainly do whatever you like. My reply is what I believe is not true. I say for the number of questions you ask, you should jump in on replies as often as you feel. 
      October 22, 2016 5:44 AM MDT

thats up to you to do whatever you want to do
      October 22, 2016 6:39 PM MDT