Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Music » Wait a second - - a song exists in which Mariah Carey does not screech out her extreme vocal range?

Wait a second - - a song exists in which Mariah Carey does not screech out her extreme vocal range?

No wonder I like the song.

(I never knew until yesterday that Mariah Carey sang this song. I wish she'd sing more songs in this way. Great song to me; uplifting lyrics, too.)

"Hero"     Mariah Carey

Posted - March 2, 2021

Responses

I am not a big Mariah fan either.  I actually just blew my son's mind this evening when I told him that I really was not a fan. And think she and some other similar singers are overrated. 
    He was shocked...lol. This post was edited by my2cents at March 3, 2021 5:59 PM MST
      March 2, 2021 8:20 PM MST

Lol. Kids!

~

March 3, 2021 5:52 PM MST

Yup, I'm not much of a fan, either.
    I think she has a great voice but I just don't like what she does with it most of the time. :)

Thanks for answering my question, my2cents.
    :)

March 3, 2021 6:02 PM MST

The only song that Mariah Carey sings that comes to mind that I love is "All I Want for Christmas Is You."  I can't think of another sing she recorded.
      March 3, 2021 6:07 AM MST

And I don't like that one, either. Ha! Even though, I must admit, I don't think she screeches ( my perception) on that one - - I just don't like the song itself, no matter who might sing it. Another example of my not fitting in -- most people I know like that song a lot. 

Carey's got a great voice to me but very often goes WAYYY up high in the stratosphere of high notes - - she has a huge vocal range and I let it really annoy me when she goes up to her lofty areas. :)

Thanks for answering my question, Spunky Senior!
    :)
      March 3, 2021 5:59 PM MST

I like that song because it's got a great beat.  When I'm in my car and it comes on the radio, I open all the windows and blast it.  :)

What I don't like is when a singer takes a really nice ballad and riffs so far away from the actual melody that they seem to get lost.  That is one of the reasons why I don't like when most singers do the Star Spangled Banner.  I know the range is difficult, but if you can't sing the notes, don't scale up until you reach them.  It's our National Anthem, not a pop tune.

EDIT for spelling. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at March 8, 2021 9:14 PM MST
      March 4, 2021 6:06 AM MST

I get your point, yes. :)
      March 8, 2021 7:29 PM MST