Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » We are experiencing a herion crisis in Ohio. The junkies aren't dying fast enough so we taxpaers have to pay more for their rehab.

We are experiencing a herion crisis in Ohio. The junkies aren't dying fast enough so we taxpaers have to pay more for their rehab.

Isn't that appalling?

Posted - October 22, 2016

Responses

Being someone who has addiction problems yourself, I would think you would exercise a little more compassion, eh?  But for the grace of God, I would be in the same boat as they are and so would you.   What do you propose, take a machine gun and rid us of this plague?  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 26, 2016 11:27 PM MST
      October 22, 2016 8:05 AM MDT

1. I admit my alcohol addiction.
    2. It is my own fault and responsibility
    3. I blame no others.
    4. If I choose to rehab, I will pay for it. (or my insurance, if they will)
    5. I would take no delite in killing anyone...we are doing a fine job of it ourselves.
      October 22, 2016 9:30 AM MDT

• Well said Sharonna, I personally think that anybody without personal knowledge thru self or family.member, and who doesn't know the horror of chronic and debilitating pain, should keep their opinions to themselves.
      October 22, 2016 4:19 PM MDT

I've read it has become (again) heavily used among those who live on drugs.  One reason is that it's  cheap and plentiful.  Not so long ago it could be bought in liquid form right off of the store shelf.  

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 22, 2016 2:31 PM MDT
      October 22, 2016 12:55 PM MDT

That was in Deutschland.
      October 22, 2016 3:01 PM MDT

October 22, 2016 10:20 PM MDT

It was here too.  And that name Bayer on the label, that's the same Bayer that makes your aspirin.  ;) This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 23, 2016 1:01 PM MDT
      October 23, 2016 1:00 PM MDT

Do you understand why there's a heroin crisis? It's actually nationwide. It's largely stemming from prescription opiates. We made a country of painkiller addicts.... or rather physicians did... and then the government made new laws to make it really hard for those people to get the drugs. Ohio, as I recall, actually has rehab wait lists that are several months long. So, what do addicts do when they can't get their fix and can't  get treatment? They turn to street drugs and now people are dying at an alarming rate from street opiates. I understand that you don't want to pay for their treatment, but the broken system is what created many of these addicts. We need to fix that system, and those people deserve help. They aren't your typical junky, mind you. The clinics are filling up with average professionals who started taking opiates as a prescription. If you choose to become addicted to alcohol, you darn well know the dangers while you're drinking. The people addicted to heroin aren't in the same boat. Their doctors failed them. The system failed them. That is appalling. 
      October 22, 2016 1:04 PM MDT

Thank-you for saying what I wanted to say.  
      October 22, 2016 2:30 PM MDT

Of course I understand that. My concern is that taxpayers should not have to bear the burdens. You should know by now how sarcastic I can be. If it ruffles a few feathers, so be it. It's the Libertarian in me. Did you read my response to Sharon's reply? This post was edited by Element 99 at October 22, 2016 3:19 PM MDT
      October 22, 2016 3:18 PM MDT

• Sarcasm or not.it's your prerogative ,  but sometimes the feathers you ruffle are from people that live with situations that im sure it would be very hard for you to handle. It's your right.
      October 22, 2016 4:14 PM MDT

• Are you calling people on pain medication for legitimate reasons not your regular junkie, JA?
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 22, 2016 4:22 PM MDT
      October 22, 2016 4:21 PM MDT

I don't understand what you mean, but let me clarify my position to see if it helps. When people think of drug addicts, they think of criminals. There's this picture that a lot of people get in their minds of people who are generally unhelpful to society- they break laws and cause harm to others. Today's heroin addicts, or roughly 50% of them, are not criminals in this sense. They're average folks living in suburbia who started taking a prescription without the right medical oversight and got hooked. I, personally, think everyone deserves help getting clean if that's what they want, but sometimes knowing that the addict here is your neighbor helps put this problem in perspective. We're not talking about some random person living in a slum, stealing by night and sleeping all day. These are folks who hold down jobs and "contribute" to society. 

People on pain medicine for legit reasons can be "junkies." I've known several people who have gotten hooked on pain meds. They doctor shop and buy on Craig's List or bum pills from relatives. Those are the same people who turn to heroin when their supply dries up. That's not to say that everyone who takes opiates becomes an addict. When people are aware of the risks and take steps to avoid getting hooked, and have a doctor who is involved, and approachable when a person realizes they have an issue, around half of our heroin addicts will stop being created.

October 22, 2016 5:35 PM MDT

I just read your other comments and see what you mean. No, people taking pain meds legitimately are not junkies. People should have access to pain meds when they have chronic pain. That's what it's intended for. However, doctors need to be involved and keep their patients informed. This is where we've failed.  
      October 22, 2016 5:40 PM MDT

Absolutely true.  
      October 22, 2016 8:33 PM MDT

*heroin*
      October 22, 2016 1:09 PM MDT

OMG...I can't believe I did that. Thank you. This post was edited by Element 99 at October 22, 2016 3:47 PM MDT
      October 22, 2016 3:03 PM MDT

The epidemic is nationwide.  If you don't want to see addicts treated, be aware that crime will continue because many end up in desperate situations.  The fact that so many are addicted is something we have to address, regardless of how you feel about them personally.  Addiction in families causes so much havoc.  
      October 22, 2016 2:37 PM MDT

Element didn't express an opinion about "them personally."  His premise is that taxpayers should not  have to pay over and over to rehab and rerehab addicts.  In this case much of the blame lies in the out-of-control prescribing of narcotic pain meds.  In the last week I was offered twice prescriptions for pain medication.  I told the doctor no, I want to find out why I'm having pain on the side of my head.  I am having an MRI Wednesday.  I have seen someone get excited because the doctor gave a script for pain meds.  I will never understand people's need/desire to be in an altered state.  I like me.     
      October 22, 2016 3:57 PM MDT

• T, some people do.need that kind of medication. There's people for which massive pain is a reality that's unavoidable.Anything from soldiers coming back from combat with horrific injuries to older people with total back fusion and reconstruction. 
    The problem comes when the street people take advantage of the System making it almost impossible for those who really need the medication to get it.
    You should be glad and happy that your pain affords you the luxury of saying no. Let's hope that it's always like that. Honestly.
      October 22, 2016 4:09 PM MDT

I agree with you Lago. My wife has severe arthritis from 30 years of cleaning. Our doctor prescribed her percs which she does NOT abuse. People with chronic severe pain should get easy access to meds and free rehab...but this ain't Canada.
      October 23, 2016 10:21 AM MDT

• If that's the case wife then you should know better.
    Thank you for responding, I do appreciate it you saying that.
      October 23, 2016 12:21 PM MDT

That has nothing to do with what I said.  The whole premise of Element's OP is that taxpayers should not be footing the rehab bill.
      October 23, 2016 1:05 PM MDT

• No, it is not. What people are responding to is his attempt at sarcasm and funny by throwing an off handed comment referencing his attitude toward the junkies. if you are trying to defend that under the premise that I don't understand or get it, then go ahead, but I get it, and so do you.
      October 23, 2016 1:38 PM MDT