Active Now

Element 99
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » We are experiencing a herion crisis in Ohio. The junkies aren't dying fast enough so we taxpaers have to pay more for their rehab.

We are experiencing a herion crisis in Ohio. The junkies aren't dying fast enough so we taxpaers have to pay more for their rehab.

Isn't that appalling?

Posted - October 22, 2016

Responses

Um...saying that they aren't dying fast enough is harsh.  Sorry.  I have had loved ones that have been affected by addiction and I can only say I want to see better treatments and prevent programs in place.  If it was just a matter of will power, we wouldn't have millions of people fighting addiction.
      October 22, 2016 8:31 PM MDT

I responded to your statement and you are now talking about something else.  Geesh.   Don't feel bad, this whole thread is just talking about what people want to say rather than the subject.  The subject is taxpayers paying for this rehab. 
      October 23, 2016 1:10 PM MDT

Quite frankly, you interjected yourself into my response to the question at hand as I was clearly stating how I felt about the need for rehab and prevention.  Taxpayers pay for addiction one way or another, like it or not.

October 23, 2016 8:42 PM MDT

You obviously caught the sarcasm.
      October 23, 2016 10:25 AM MDT

Hello Chief:

Nobody wants to be addicted.  There was only ONE truth the drug warriors told, and that's being addicted is miserable. 

While we have a drug war on, NOBODY will come forward for fear of being jailed.  So, if we ENDED the drug war, and offered treatment on demand, people will STOP being addicted.. 

Come on, folks.  I'm not talking about EVERYBODY.  10% of the people are alcoholics, and 10% of the people are gonna be junkies.. That's just the way it is, and we'll NEVER solve that problem.  But, IF they can BUY their drugs legally, they'll be no more dangerous than alcoholics..  Sorry to break it to you, but snorting cocaine does NOT compel one to rob a 7/Eleven..

excon This post was edited by excon at October 23, 2016 5:54 AM MDT
      October 22, 2016 5:51 PM MDT

i dont think people should be doing drugs in the first place
      October 22, 2016 6:28 PM MDT

The taxpayers are going to pay regardless of whether it is through increased policing and welfare costs, increased costs of goods and services due to high-crime areas or lower employee productivity, higher prison populations...or treatment/rehab.  Only one of those has the actual potential of curbing the problem, that being rehab.  
      October 22, 2016 10:32 PM MDT

Exactly right Bozette.  
      October 23, 2016 10:08 AM MDT

this epidemic just breaks my heart..........

I have somewhat of a solution, but i KNOW it'll be made fun of.

When someone on opioids has to stop taking them, that's generally when they look for other 'stuff'.

NOW......if the damn doctors, after taking the patient off the opioids, would suggest their seeing a chiropractor for their pain, that'd be a step in the right direction.

Of course the old 'but you have to keep going back!!" argument comes up; well, you had to keep taking the damn pain pills, too, right?

but of COURSE this'll never happen.....doctors recommending chiropractors for pain?   not really!!!

AND WHAT A SAD THING FOR EVERYONE INVOLVED.

and on a related note, the use of the drug that revives those who have OD'd?  they should get IT ONLY ONE TIME.....AND BE PUT INTO REHAB, whether they want it or not......
    and they should BE BILLED FOR IT....  as for the amount, I have no idea.

I cannot see the sense in reviving someone with a drug habit who has no intention of going into rehab!!!!!!!!

-SIGH - 
      November 11, 2016 8:22 AM MST

I have seen news reports of this problem in ohio. it is not only alarming but heart breaking for all. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at November 26, 2016 11:34 PM MST
      November 26, 2016 11:32 PM MST