Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » MY BAD. The Bible clearly states "In the beginning God created the heavens and the EARTH". Nothing about the sun or moon or other planets?

MY BAD. The Bible clearly states "In the beginning God created the heavens and the EARTH". Nothing about the sun or moon or other planets?

Which leads to an obvious question. Is the CHRISTIAN GOD isolated to the EARTH and heavens surrounding it?

Does each thing like a sun or moon or planet HAVE ITS OWN GOD?

Why not "In the beginning GOD created the UNIVERSE? Or GOD created all the heavens and all the galaxies and the entire universe? Why was it limited to just "THE EARTH"? Anyone?

Posted - March 6, 2021

Responses

Heavens refers to the planets and stars....the universe. 

Earth because that is the purpose of the Bible to instruct the Earthlings which He created.

March 6, 2021 5:11 AM MST

Basically it does say God created the universe.

The early Hebrews considered there to be 3 heavens ("shamayim", in their language) - the sky (what we call the atmosphere), where the stars hung, and where God dwelled.
    So when it says God created the heavens, it means that He created both the atmosphere and the area we now refer to as space.   Genesis 1:16 goes on to say that God made the sun, the moon and the stars on the 4th day.

It's only very recently that we're discovering just how big this universe actually is.  If the bible had said that on the 4th day God created exoplanets or the kuiper belt, no one would have known what that meant until now.  The bible wasn't meant to be science book.  It does, however, show us the One who created all this.  If we find the crationto be grand, how much more is the One who created it?
      March 6, 2021 1:52 PM MST

I think you know by now the GOD in WHOM I believe does not exist ONLY in the BIBLE. That is not my be all and end all path to access GOD. Too limiting. So am I an heretic because I don't do so? I dunno. As I've said before GOD gave me this brain that questions everything all the time. It is my job to use it. How that falls out is how that falls out. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      March 7, 2021 2:49 AM MST