Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How much thinking is involved in memorizing a script and then regurgitating by rote when "asked"? Any at all or none?

How much thinking is involved in memorizing a script and then regurgitating by rote when "asked"? Any at all or none?

Posted - March 7, 2021

Responses

I got away with doing a maths exam like that, but I still had to understand it in case the examiners put in a tweak to see if we coped.  
      March 8, 2021 3:14 AM MST

Apologies to thee Malizz but your reply confuses me. Of course we memorize all kinds of math "rules" theorems and postulates but you understood them too. So what did you "get away with"? Sorry I didn't follow you! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :)
      March 8, 2021 3:19 AM MST

I actually did very little thinking for that exam, mostly repeating the known theorems. Usually you have to do a fair bit of figuring out. I felt that I got my pass mark without really deserving it. 
      March 8, 2021 3:52 AM MST

You feel GUILTY for that? Oh m'dear seriously? I'm sorry Malizz but I'm giggling. You ACED it and now you feel you didn't deserve it? Oy vey! Well I will tell you I much prefer folks who are modest about their accomplishments and you are that m'dear. It's funny some things in math (Algebra and Geometry) that were obligatory to take I understood. Some I didn't. I expect you understood everything right? May I ask how high did you go mathwise educationally? Higher math perhaps? Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 8, 2021 3:56 AM MST