Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I have always conflated tinfoil with aluminum foil until today. I expect y'all are way smarter than I am and didn't. Want some backstory?

I have always conflated tinfoil with aluminum foil until today. I expect y'all are way smarter than I am and didn't. Want some backstory?

In the late 19th and 20th centuries tinfoil was in common usage. It gave a slight tin taste to the food wrapped in it.

After World War 2 it was replaced by aluminum foil which is cheaper and more durable without any taste. Some people STILL REFER TO IT AS TINFOIL (me among them) and so in many regions everyone living there in calls it "tinfoil". You are more precise correct? Aluminum it is and aluminum it will always be and with respect to foil tin will never again cross your lips. After all right is right and to be precise is righter than not to be. Agree?

Posted - March 13, 2021

Responses

Agreed. Toothpaste tubes used to be made from tin, also.
      March 13, 2021 10:42 AM MST

I used to like the tin tubes because it was easy to roll them up and get all the paste out of the tube. I always thought they were made from aluminum and figured  the reason they stopped using them was because the aluminum and the metal in tooth fillings caused a electric  chemical reaction  that caused pain. But I am not sure if tin would of had the same reaction so maybe they just stopped using them because plastic was cheaper then tin. Cheers and happy weekend! 
      March 13, 2021 11:30 AM MST

:):):)
      March 14, 2021 4:06 AM MDT

WHO KNEW? We used to cook in aluminum pots but no longer do. Things change. Thank you for your reply E!:)
      March 14, 2021 4:06 AM MDT

The British English word for "can" is "tin" or "tin-can", and the food is said to be "tinned"; because though the containers were never made from tin they were made from tin-plate: steel coated with tin to protect it from corrosion.

The original name was "tinned can".

Tin is too soft and costly to be used on its own for food canisters.

I am not sure how the steel is protected now. I think the interior is coated with a sort of lacquer, but I don't know what the exterior carries.  

I'm still using aluminium saucepans, along with stainless-steel ones!   
      March 14, 2021 5:34 PM MDT

Actual tin containers were used for storing things like gunpowder and turpentine. Tin food storage containers were created for use  since 1901.
      March 14, 2021 6:16 PM MDT

I discarded all aluminum pans decades ago Durdle. You didn't. Why? I expect you never cook tomatoes right? Never any acidic foods that promote leaching. I use Le Creuset cookware. Very expensive. I bought all of mine at the outlet mall were you can buy seconds at 50% or less. Ceramic coated very heavy last forever. Do you enjoy cooking and do so a lot or are you mostly a take out or already prepared foods person? Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 19, 2021 5:16 AM MDT