Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why are GERMAN scientists so much smarter than everyone else?

Why are GERMAN scientists so much smarter than everyone else?

"Travel faster than light is possible within Einstein's Physics shows astrophysicist ERIC LENZ University of Gottingen in Germany.!"

Where would we be sciencewise if it were not for GERMAN scientists? Why do they SEE possibilities others pooh pooh? What makes them more curious more inventive more creative more daring? Anyone?

Posted - March 14, 2021

Responses

German scientists aren't necessarily smarter than anyone else. Significant breakthroughs have been made by brilliant thinkers of all nationalities. Einstein couldn't have formulated General Relativity without building on Isaac Newton's work, and Newton himself was responsible for the famous line, "If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    Dirac and Hawking were at least equal to any physicist before or since. China has produced its share of genii, including Nobel Laureate Tu Youyou who is distinguished not only by discovering new ways of treating malaria and saving lives, but also by being the most confusing person in the world to sing "Happy Birthday" to.
      March 14, 2021 5:31 AM MDT

You know what I'm obliged to do as soon as I post this reply to you don't you? Look up Tu Youyou just in case you are "pulling my leg". Can you blame me? This is BAD ROSIE speaking now. I giggle OUT LOUD when I look at that name. No disrespect intended. I adore YOYO MA and would be incensed if anyone were to make fun of his name. So I apologize in advance but I am still going to Google it! Thank you for your reply m'dear. Here goes! :)
      March 14, 2021 6:00 AM MDT

And I thought Jewish scientists were the smartest. 149 Nobel prize winners from 1905-2013. Of course, many of them were German.
      March 14, 2021 1:15 PM MDT

So would there have been an atomic bomb without Germans? Jewish is a religion not a country E. Whatever the faith is should be irrelevant shouldn't it? Just asking since I don't know. I think the Chinese do the best in school. I could be wrong of course. Thank you for your reply and now I have another question to ask! :)
      March 15, 2021 3:41 AM MDT

Oppenheimer was in charge of the Manhattan Project which produced the first nuclear bombs. He was American and Jewish. Enrico Fermi, an Italian, was the main scientist.
      March 15, 2021 7:35 AM MDT

Figgers. Italians tend to be more BOMBASTIC than Germans. Look at their operas! The language? The FOOD? Thank you for your reply E! :)
      March 15, 2021 11:32 AM MDT

There are more than a few German operas, Wagner's Der Ring Des Nibelungen is a butt-numbing 8 hours long and far more bombastic than anything Verdi or Puccini ever did. And Le Nozze di Figaro was written in Italian by an Austrian (Mozart was from Salzburg).
      March 15, 2021 4:24 PM MDT

BOMBASTIC. A play on words. Enrico Fermi was instrumental in making the atomic bomb as I was informed by Element. So I ran with it...BOMB being the point. Sometimes when one does that the fit isn't perfect. I think Italian opera, what little of it I've heard, is far more lyrical and pleasant to listen to than Strident Brunhilde GERMANIC harshness. But I know very little about opera. Perphaps there is one written in German by a German there is beautifully lyrical dreamy romantic. Perhaps there are Italian operas that are very hard to listen to because they are harsh strident. As I said just a play on words that fell flat. Thank you for your reply R and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine. I know. I beat a dead horse. Well there was nothing else to do at this hour! :( This post was edited by RosieG at March 16, 2021 2:34 AM MDT
      March 16, 2021 2:27 AM MDT

Careful about stereotyping.
      March 15, 2021 4:36 PM MDT

French Food. Jewish Mothers.Ugly Americans. Latin lovers. Arm candy golddiggers. Dirty old men. All stereotypes. Thank you for your reply.
      March 16, 2021 2:32 AM MDT

And, of course, damn Yankees.
      March 16, 2021 10:28 AM MDT

That was a dam* good movie! Ya gotta have heart. All you really need is heart. When the odds are saying you'll never win that when a grin should start. Ya gotta have hope. All you really need is hope......Gwen Verdon as LOLA! Whatever LOLA wants LOLA gets and little man little LOLA wants YOU! Boy she sizzled in her day as did her hubby Bob Fosse. Didja see the movie? But I digress. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      March 16, 2021 2:53 PM MDT

I'm a life-long Yankee fan.
      March 16, 2021 4:58 PM MDT

The Babe? Lou Gehrig? Ever hear of Grover Cleveland Alexander? We saw the movie yesterday on TCM starring Ronald Reagan. True life movie allegedly. He beat the Yankees once upon a time in the long ago! World Series I believe and he was playing on the St. Louis Cardinals team? He had a lot of health issues but turned out to be among the greatest pitchers ever! Lou Gehrig as portrayed by Gary Cooper in a movie was my son's favorite baseball player. Of course Lou died long before my son was born but that speech he gave about being the luckiest player in the world was memorable. And Babe. I gather he was not liked by his teammates but his talent was not to be ignored. Those were the days. Today's Yankees? I've no idea who they are but I betcha no team will ever surpass the time of Lou and Babe and the others. Just meandering. Thank you for your succinct reply. Apologies for my lengthy one! :)
      March 17, 2021 3:36 AM MDT

I grew up in the Yogi, Mickey, Tresh, Richardson, Skowron, Boyer etc era. I went to a double header in Cleveland when I was about 12 and the Yanks trounced the Indians. Yogi hit a grand slam.

March 17, 2021 12:47 PM MDT

Oh wow! Lucky you! That is some memory to treasure for sure. What a character Yogi was.  There are lots of YOGIS who say "I didn't say what I said". Maybe they're fans? Thank you for your reply E and the photo! Those were the days! Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      March 18, 2021 3:34 AM MDT

They are no more or less clever than any others, but a lot depends on how much their society values and encourages their work.

It's not a  matter of nationality but of society, culture and politics.
      March 14, 2021 5:23 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Durdle. I am going to ask a question about that.
      March 15, 2021 3:42 AM MDT