Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are stereotypes more often flattering or insulting?

Are stereotypes more often flattering or insulting?

Posted - March 15, 2021

Responses

Depends on the group being stereotyped. :)  Most millennials get a bad rap as do most boomers. 
      March 16, 2021 8:43 AM MDT

Funny. I never think of millenials or boomers. Boomers are what age group and are millenials the up and coming young of today? I think in terms of smart/dumb. Rich/poor. Cruel/kind. Honorable/dishonorable. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 17, 2021 10:39 AM MDT
      March 16, 2021 3:08 PM MDT

By the numbers
    • Baby Boomers: born 1946 to 1964. ...
    • Generation Jones: born 1955 to 1965. ...
    • Generation X: born 1965 to 1980. ...
    • Xennials: born 1977 to 1983. ...
    • Millennials: born 1981 to 1996. ...
    • Generation Z: born 1997 or after. ...
    • Generation Alpha: born 2010 or after.
    Those of us born before 1945 are considered the Silent Generation although you couldn't prove that by either of us. :)
      March 17, 2021 10:41 AM MDT

That last one is a doozy but I know you knew I'd burst out laughing. That's for darn sure! So all of that exists? Good GRIEF! I've heard of the Boomers and Millennials (from you probably) but all of those others? Generation JONES?Xennials? Generation Z? Generation Alpha? Who makes up this stuff honey? Seriously. Somebody has to, right? It just doesn't show up out of nowhere. I am shaking my head as I write this. I keep reading that list. Boy I sure don't know an awful lot! Thank you for taking the trouble to educate me about it. I'm glad you pay attention to stuff. Clearly I don't or if I do I just don't remember it! :)
      March 18, 2021 7:54 AM MDT

Don't feel bad - I hadn't heard of a couple of them either.  One of my nieces asked me what do they call people born after Generation Alpha.  I told her "Screwed."
      March 18, 2021 8:01 AM MDT

Hahahaha! Another ZINGER. I know about the roaring 20's of course and wasn't there a "lost" generation somewhere? Those are vaguely familiar. And then Tom Brokaw wrote about the World War vets. He called that some generation. I forget which. The greatest generation or the bravest? Thank you for your reply. I think the kids of the FOOTOO years are royally gypped and eternally damaged. I feel so very bad for them and their parents. I mean compared to our childhoods (mine predating yours but still good childhoods) and my son's too. He is 56 now and his youth involved in little league baseball and in high school it was track and he played in some basketball leagues. Very wholesome and proper and good. What these kids have to look up to and copycat and what they get from their parents I can't imagine. Everything is much harder now. Not how it should be it seems to me. I'll ask. :)
      March 18, 2021 8:06 AM MDT

Tom Brokaw wrote about the Greatest Generation.  Those were the folks who suffered through WWII.  Civilians back then did what they could to support the troops - there was rationing and all sorts of things that had to be put on hold or sacrificed.  I wonder how many of today's young people would be able to give that unselfishly of themselves.  
      March 18, 2021 11:43 AM MDT

I remember it so well. Sugar and butter was rationed. There were slogans then like "butter for guns". The folks at home supported the soldiers. The women went to work in factories to replace the men who went to fight the wars. We were all in it together. Having mom bake a cake was something VERY RARE. The country unified with regard to boding together to fight the bad guys. "They also serve who only sit and wait". I was a little girl and even I knew what was at stake. Those days were very good days patriotism wise. It hate groups existed in America then they were very quiet. Those were the days. Now if this country goes to war the RACISTS will be rooting for the bad guys to win. i have no doubt about that! I shall ask. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 19, 2021 3:33 AM MDT

I was born after the war ended, but my family was subjected to the rationing, I'm sure.  The draft eligible men were all overseas.
      March 19, 2021 8:58 AM MDT

Exactly. It was not a time of divisioning. Of course I was just a little girl. It seemed to me that everyone took the war SERIOUSLY. My mom and I were sorting laundry on December 7, 1941. Mom had the radio on and all of a sudden President Roosevelt breaks in and addresses the nation. All about a DAY OF INFAMY. My mom starts tearing up so I knew it wasn't good news. December 7, 1941 is a day that will remain in infamy and also my memory. I was 4. I still remember my mom's face. Funny that. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 19, 2021 10:39 AM MDT

I would imagine the response to Pearl Harbor must have been somewhat akin to what we all felt on September 11th.
      March 19, 2021 10:57 AM MDT

I expect so. Being attacked like that. But they were FOREIGNERS. How much worse it is to have lived during a January 6 when we are attacked by home grown white supremacist VIOLENT domestic terrorists? How much worse could it get than that? It couldn't. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 20, 2021 7:44 AM MDT
      March 19, 2021 12:01 PM MDT

Being attacked by home-grown terrorists is how King George must have thought about us. 
      March 20, 2021 7:47 AM MDT

The people are SUPPOSED TO attack the government that abuses them. The people are not supposed to attack the people who disagree with them to service a crackpot racist defective despot. That's what happened here January 6. SIGH. How does this story end L? I don't have a clue. Do you? Did you read the Declaration of Independence and see specifically what we had against King George? It's a mighty lengthy list of BAD. And so it goes. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 20, 2021 11:05 AM MDT

I was not a history buff, so my recollection of the really big issue with King George was taxation without representation.  I don't know how this story ends, nor do I think any else does.  How big a stretch is it from overthrowing an election to overthrowing a government.  January 6th may have taught us that it isn't that big a stretch.
      March 20, 2021 3:00 PM MDT

Jones and Xennial are new ones to me. I heard it differently:
    Boomers: 1946-64
    GenX: 1965-79
    GenY/Millenial: 1980-94
    GenZ/Cyberkids: 1995-2009
    Gen Alpha/iGen: 2010-
      March 18, 2021 5:08 PM MDT

Same here.  The way you posted is the way I've heard it.  
      March 18, 2021 6:08 PM MDT

:):):)
      March 20, 2021 3:06 AM MDT

March 19, 2021 3:34 AM MDT

Okay boomer.
      March 16, 2021 3:25 PM MDT

Nope, I was born in 1945 which makes me part of the (not so) Silent Generation. :)
      March 17, 2021 10:42 AM MDT

March 18, 2021 7:54 AM MDT

Caricatures are always insulting, and that's usually what a stereotype is. I've never seen an Australian wearing a hat with corks dangling from it, I've only seen those on tourists. Or a fat, stolid, boring German in a tricorn and lederhosen, gargling in waltz time and keeping his ear wax in mason jars.
      March 16, 2021 3:30 PM MDT

Shrimp on the barbie a caricature? An insult? Funny that. I take it as being very friendly open welcoming hospitable. You would know how you feel about it. Now I know too. Latin lover. French cuisine. Jewish mama. Irish eyes. I see them as compliments not caricatures or insults. Sure some Latins suck at it and some French folks can't cook and not all Jewish mothers are "Jewish" mothers. Not all Irish eyes are smiling either. I think I'm too old to change my view on this subject R. I think of stereotypes as shorthand. Like abbreviations or acronyms. Insulting? Caricatures? Or just a convenient method of communication? It depends on the eyes of the beholder. Kangaroos. Koala  Bears. Outback. I mean there is a restaurant chain called THE OUTBACK. Well I done said my say. :)
      March 18, 2021 8:01 AM MDT