Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Homo saps have gone SOFT. Homo saps are spoiled beyond endurance. Imagine any of today's homo saps crossing the country in covered wagons?

Homo saps have gone SOFT. Homo saps are spoiled beyond endurance. Imagine any of today's homo saps crossing the country in covered wagons?

Imagine any of them leaving their homes to travel to an unknown country for a "better" life. Probably jammed in cramped quarters for days? You can't can you?

Our ancestors were made of far sterner stuff than we. What happened to the homo saps that used to be?

When did homo saps become so SOFT and INEPT? Inventing things to "make life easier". The flip side of that is what? Indolence? Arrogance? Privilege? Supercilious condemnation of "the other"?

No working together for a common goal.  

Posted - March 16, 2021

Responses

Soft, you say?  People went catatonic when they thought there would be no more toilet paper!
      March 16, 2021 8:31 AM MDT

There are paper towels. There is Kleenex. There are paper bags. There are leaves. There are hoses. Lots of way to clean other than toilet paper. They just have no imagination or inventive creativity. Soft. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 16, 2021 3:14 PM MDT

And in the absence of all of those things, the Murdererdoch media produces tons of newspaper daily - it was all our grandparents used, and they print so much sh** that a little more hardly makes a difference.
    On second thought, maybe not - Rupert rags are only soft on right-wing a$$#oles.
      March 16, 2021 3:20 PM MDT

Geez mea culpa R! I totally forgot about newspapers! I mean that's what you wrap pet poo in and throw away! GOOD SAVE! I can't believe it didn't occur to me. I just wish others would read this. It's brief. Nothing verbose or extravagant or unnecessary. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. WAY BETTER than any of the other choices. Noble. Patriotic. Significant! Sigh! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 16, 2021 3:24 PM MDT
      March 16, 2021 3:23 PM MDT

My paternal grandfather said that when he first came to this country, they were using the paper in which fruit was wrapped :)  Not, fruit doesn't come wrapped!
      March 17, 2021 10:37 AM MDT

I vaguely remember if you bought a crate of something...say pears or apples...they were individually wrapped. I was just a little kid then. You weren't even born. But sure you could use those easily! Waste not want not right? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 18, 2021 8:27 AM MDT

I do recall some of the fruit being wrapped, but I was young.  My mom used to wrap a quarter in a napkin and put it in a clothespin, throw it out the window and tell me to get 5 lbs. of potatoes at Ike and Joe's fruit market.
      March 18, 2021 11:36 AM MDT

Okey dokey. More teasing? I remember as a little child my mom would send me to the store to buy something. Now it was about a block away and I was in her sight all the way there. No crossing streets. Maybe I'd get a quart of milk or something. I don't remember what I bought but I liked that my mom trusted me. I do remember one time stands out in my memory. As I walked back home it started raining. Not a lot but enough to get me a little wet. Know what I said to my mom the minute I got home? "What kind of mother are you that you send your little girl out in the rain?" It wasn't raining when I left so she didn't do that but I scolded her anyway. I think I was maybe 3 years old and I had a mouth on me even then! Funny what you remember isn't it? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 19, 2021 4:38 AM MDT

At the age of 3, I couldn't go anywhere myself - ever.  When I started first grade, my mom would watch me walk to school.  We had a corner apartment and she could see the two blocks to the school.  Of course, if someone was kidnapping me, she could hardly have gotten down six flights of stairs and two blocks before that person was gone. :)
      March 19, 2021 8:54 AM MDT

This was in Highland Park, Michigan around 1940. The world was very different then. There were few if any child harmers. Crime wasn't a huge issue in those days. Fast forward to California where we moved in 1940. We could walk at night in the neighborhood. We  did not lock our doors unless we were going to be gone for hours and hours. No need. No one would break in. It sounds unbelievable today but it really was that way. I doubt it will ever again be that way though. SIGH. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Sunday to the! :)

Also I have vague memories of something that would be unbelievable today.

On a few occasions a stranger would show up and I he was hungry. I remember my mom scrambling eggs and making toast and coffee. The stranger would eat and thank her profusely and then be on his way. My dad showed me a marking on the sidewalk in front of our house. He said it meant that kind people lived there and would feed them. He made no attempt to remove the mark. I think he felt proud of it. That happened only a few times. There was never any fear that a strange man was in the house. I was very young then but there was no apprehension tension or discomfort. I figured it was not a bad thing to be known for being kind. Can you imagine that being done today? Me either. :( My dad said they were probably down on their luck and hoboes traveling from place to place to find someplace they could find work. I think people in general were kinder then. When did being kind become something to attack insult mock? This post was edited by RosieG at March 21, 2021 7:37 AM MDT
      March 21, 2021 4:37 AM MDT

When I was a kid, even though we lived on the top floor of an apartment building in upper Manhattan, when the weather was nice, my mom would open the roof door, leave the apartment door open and open all the windows so we would get a nice breeze throughout the apartment.  In those days, everyone hung their laundry on the roof to dry.  I knew everyone in every apartment in that building yet I live in my present apartment more than 40 years and other than a handful of people, I have no idea who lives here.  

No way would you even think of doing that now.  I don't think it was only more kindness.  I think it was more ethical, moral and honest.  Happy Sunday to you. :)
      March 21, 2021 7:41 AM MDT

There are so many humans alive today who have no idea what we are talking about! How sad is that? Thank you for your reply L. Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end.
      March 22, 2021 6:11 AM MDT

Sad, but true.  I think a good portion of it has been influenced by the Internet.  You can go on a site without having to divulge who you really are, tell anyone anything you like and get away with is (most of the time).  There's a feeling of verbal freedom when you aren't looking someone in the eye as you tell them they're dumb as a box of hair.  After a long enough time, you forget you're not on the internet and you start doing it in person because you don't care what you say or how it's received.  That is the negative side of the Internet. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at March 23, 2021 4:45 AM MDT
      March 22, 2021 10:06 AM MDT

I wonder if the internet has facilitated more good than bad? It's where terrorists congregate to plot and plan. It's where racists and bigots perpetuate their hate. It's where much bad has occurred. Without it what would our lives have been like? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 23, 2021 4:46 AM MDT

Well, I think overall, it's been a good thing.  There is nothing you can't learn via the internet.  As for terrorists and plotting, the government can monitor those groups which they couldn't have done before without having someone undercover or a spy in the case of foreign actors, so having them more out in the open is probably a good thing.
      March 23, 2021 8:04 AM MDT

Of course we would never have met without the internet. Researching anything at any time of day from your home is awesome grand! Back in the day it meant a trek to the library and hours spent using their research books which had to be used inside the library. This is much easier and faster. But vile lies and crackpot theories spread like wildfire instantly via the internet. How can we measure the harm done versus the good achieved? I shall ask but I doubt anyone can answer it. Thank you for your reply ! :)
      March 29, 2021 4:16 AM MDT

I'm not sure you could measure good vs. evil as far as the Internet goes.  It's unfortunate that there is no way to keep the misinformation and outright lies from being posted.
      March 29, 2021 8:40 AM MDT

Good done versus harm done. Sounds simple enough but that would require my having access to everyone and everything said and done which of course is impossible. But I remember life before the internet. How does what we live today come from that? I don't know that either! Thank you for your reply L. I shall ask.
      March 29, 2021 9:11 AM MDT