Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Areas of China were hit by a punishing SANDSTORM. Ever been in one? Ever live in an area where occur?

Areas of China were hit by a punishing SANDSTORM. Ever been in one? Ever live in an area where occur?

Posted - March 16, 2021

Responses

No to both but I remember one morning a couple of years ago, the sky turning a peculiar golden-yellow colour for an hour or so.

It turned out to be very fine sand, not much coarser than talcum-powder, that an unusual wind pattern had carried all the way from the Sahara Desert, Northwards across Spain and France, to Southern England.

A lot of it settled to the ground, and my car gathered a very thin coat of the yellow dust.   

March 17, 2021 4:39 PM MDT

How far did it travel? From the Sahara to Southern England is a pretty long way/ We have large world map mounted above the desk and I just looked. I wonder far anything travels? The farthest furthest? Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      March 18, 2021 2:47 AM MDT

Sandstorm no, dust storm several times.
      March 17, 2021 5:00 PM MDT

How long do they last? Minutes hours days? Thank you for your reply R and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      March 18, 2021 2:37 AM MDT

The storm itself only lasts for few hours, but the dust can hang in the air for a week. Unless there's rain.
      March 18, 2021 4:49 AM MDT

Oh my gosh that is terrible R. When we had those weeks of fires in California Shuhak suffered with dangerously crapped up air for WEEKS. He lives in northern California where it is beautiful and very green usually. Ashes and dust and whatever was caused by the fires kept on going for many weeks because the fires kept on going for many weeks. I know you've had similar catastrophic air too in Australia rather recently. He didn't dare open his windows for ever so long. I'm certain that kind of environment is not anything anyone ever wants to experience in person. When we lived in Riverside we just had to deal with smog. In Hemet the air is pretty clear. We don't live anywhere near stuff that can burn but we see what floats in from those fire areas. What is the long-term damage to the lungs and how long will it take to show up in physical damage? Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 18, 2021 6:46 AM MDT
      March 18, 2021 6:45 AM MDT