Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A happens. Then B happens. More than once. Maybe a few times. Doesn't mean B was CAUSED by A. Doesn't mean it wasn't. Why snap judge?

A happens. Then B happens. More than once. Maybe a few times. Doesn't mean B was CAUSED by A. Doesn't mean it wasn't. Why snap judge?

Why not leave the door open to the possibility.

Now if B ALWAYS happens after A it's a no brainer. If every time you eat peanuts you break out in a rash you probably should stop eating peanuts. It if it happens "on occasion" maybe you should stop too. It could accelerate into a real problem. I know. It happened to me. With peanuts specifically. The "occasionally" may be  a warning of what's to come if you keep doing it.

It's just the sometimes happens that gets a little iffy. Unless and until you research it and investigate it to see what were the "other" circumstances that might get triggered ON OCCASION?

It's not simple or easy to determine that. But shutting a door and locking it and walking away? How does that make any sense?

Posted - March 16, 2021

Responses

Post hoc, propter hoc.

The boss's wife became pregnant after working beside me... 

March 16, 2021 8:16 AM MDT

How often? How many times? We need to know that Malizz. Just once and done? A fluke. 8 kids later? Maybe you shouldn't sit next to her? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      March 16, 2021 2:31 PM MDT

You're allergic to Peanuts? Do Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, Snoopy etc make you break out?

On a more serious note, what we have in the case of the Astra Zeneca vaccine is a possible link - so it's prudent to suspend its use until the cause of the blood clots can be determined. Particularly as there is an alternative that has not shown that effect. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at March 16, 2021 2:21 PM MDT
      March 16, 2021 8:53 AM MDT

No originally. But here's what happened. Years ago Jim and I would buy a 2lb bag of peanuts in the shell. EVERY WEEK we ate them up. Month after month after month. Then I developed what appeared to be ASTHMA out of the blue. I had to get an inhaler and never got the hang of the rhythym of it. Not once. I slept upright in a chair. I couldn't sleep otherwise. Then it just wet away. During that time I just stopped eating peanuts completely. So I avoided anything peanutty including peanut butter and peanut oil. A long time later after "it" was long gone I tested it. Ate a peanut. Nothing happened. Ate a few more. Still nothing. Then I shopped! A small amount works just fine. Not 2 lbs a week plus peanut butter. So I can indulge sparsely and it's enough. I think I just overloaded my system with TOO MUCH and it fought back. Moderation in all things. Especially food. I've never had that problem again. I never overate peanuts again! Now is there a connection? I honestly don't know. It came and went. Asthma doesn't do that does it? I didn't get tested. From my symptoms the doc thought it was in fact ASTHMA. Temporarily maybe? I'm not going to test ever again! Thank you for your reply R! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 16, 2021 2:30 PM MDT
      March 16, 2021 2:28 PM MDT

Human logic - but what if the next time it doesn't happen?  What if all the other times were flukes?
      March 16, 2021 10:36 AM MDT

Don'tcha just love WHAT IFS? Among my problems is that I seek CONNECTIONS all the time. I always have and I guess I always will. I'm sure I've mentioned that before. My brain just works that way. Looking for patterns in everything. Roadmaps. Guidelines. I find them from time time. At least I satisfy myself that I did. Others may never see them or seek them or value them. I do because I keep hoping that will eventually lead me to a better understanding of WHY we are here, what we are supposed to do while we're here and what comes next? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      March 16, 2021 2:20 PM MDT