Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Have you ever had a bad experience with a social media, online ?

Have you ever had a bad experience with a social media, online ?

Me kinda. Its about the website 'similarworlds' , which is the successor of Experience Project. 

I less like that website since my bad experience

Posted - March 20, 2021

Responses

I had my YouTube account suspended three times and then terminated when I was 16.  I got terminated because I made a video calling out the perv who was hitting on me so he flagged all of my videos and reported me for a TOS violation.  He was pretty gross.  He was 34 and all of his subscriptions were 13 to 17 year old girls.  The thing that made him creepy was that his MO was to warn all of the teenage girls on YouTube that the other guys on there were all perverts and he was looking out for us because he was different.  Then he’d try to hit on me.  Umm, no thanks, white-knighting is pretty gross.  I would‘ve taken the honest perverts over him any day.  I basically told him that, but not in those exact words, so he just threw a huge hissy fit about it and flagged all my stuff on YouTube for his revenge on me.
      March 20, 2021 5:51 PM MDT

sigh, 

internet drama
      April 25, 2021 4:06 PM MDT

It's only the offline ones that cause me problems.
      March 21, 2021 5:12 AM MDT

Other than here, I am not on any social media sites.
      March 21, 2021 9:28 AM MDT

• What was your bad experience?  I enjoyed Similar Worlds, but I haven't logged into it in a few months.  I try to talk with everyone who sends me a PM, but I can't.  When I logged in, I've had up to 13 messages.  They weren't messages that were sent to me when I was offline.  They were all sent in the first few minutes after I logged in.  I can't reply immediately to all of those people, and they became angry when I couldn't quickly reply to them.  English isn't my first language.  I must first think of the best translation before I reply to them.  I would like to use Similar Worlds again, but I'm afraid of the messages in my inbox that are about my ghosting of them.
      March 21, 2021 8:46 PM MDT

I used Experience Project for a couple of years or so but left it when I started to worry about some of the material it was carrying.

I'm on Similar Worlds but wonder why, and will probably leave that too - although its owners have made "leaving" less easy than you'd think.

Neither has given me any single experience bad enough for me to abandon the site though.

'''

Used to use Answers regularly, until its owners, Wikipedia, revamped it so you could no longer submit questions or answers, defeating its purpose. I think that has been revived  now. It is not a chat-group site, but an information-exchange so users can ask questions of knowledge in any of umpteen categories - sports, science, motor-vehicles, animals, house maintenance, etc. 

I didn't have bad experiences with Answers, but became very annoyed by a certain two or three regulars determined to make life difficult in one particular category, its Maths section. It fielded many of apparently homework questions from school-children trying to understand Metric units of measure (How many km in 40 miles? - that sort of thing.) As one used to using both Imperial and SI units, I could safely say the answer is very simple - multiply the given value by the appropriate constant found in many published sources. This duo or trio though would create great long strings of intermediate conversions, invoke Algebra needlessly and Dimensional Analysis totally wrongly (the questions had nothing to do with Dimensional Analysis)... and then often made mistakes in their own arithmetic!   

(Kilometres in 40 miles? 40 X 8/5 is accurate enough for most practical journeys of moderate distances, and those numbers give easy mental arithmetic, so 64km. I insisted too on the correct French spellings for the French-invented unit names.) 

'

Facebook? Instagram? Whatsapp? LinkedIn? Not ruddy likely. I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.

April 5, 2021 5:08 PM MDT

Don't be so quick to dismiss that which you know little about. Several people I know, including myself, have found good jobs and other opportunities through LinkedIn. I have gained and retained numerous clients for my tax practice because of my profile and contact info on the site. It's a valuable business and networking tool.
      April 5, 2021 6:55 PM MDT

Social media totally exists online. Thus, it is impossible to have any kind of experience with it offline and "social media, online" is redundant. I won't even get into the needless comma in that phrase.
      April 5, 2021 5:48 PM MDT

Give him a break...French Canadian, eh.
      April 5, 2021 8:06 PM MDT

Good. I can help him learn some English.
      April 5, 2021 8:32 PM MDT

OK, den.
      April 5, 2021 8:50 PM MDT