Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » a spirit TRAPPED INSIDE A BROKEN BODY* must be a terrible thing. Senility will do that. What else traps spirits?

a spirit TRAPPED INSIDE A BROKEN BODY* must be a terrible thing. Senility will do that. What else traps spirits?

I asterisked it because it isn't mine. It is from a longtime internet social site friend to whom all credit is due for the idea.

Posted - March 24, 2021

Responses

Alzheimers/dementia will trap your spirit inside a broken mind.  As cruel as some diseases are, dementia is one of the cruelest.  It diminishes the part of you that gives quality to your life.  I have always felt that I could live reasonably happily with some physical disabilities, but would not want to have to live with he diminution of my mental capacities.
      March 24, 2021 11:24 AM MDT

Me too. It's what I most fear about getting older. That possibility. My mom lived to her mid-90's and was afflicted with it. I imagine it is frightening being trapped inside like that and not knowing/understanding what happened to you. SIGH. I wonder if there is an age beyond which you won't be apt to get it? I wonder if there is an average onset age. At 83 for me and 85 for Jim have we passed it or just heading toward it? I'm going to Google it L and ask "what is the average age of onset of senility". Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 25, 2021 4:44 AM MDT

I know what you mean.  As you know, both my parents suffered from it.  The worst part was when my mom was in that middle stage when she had some days that were good and some that were bad.  She knew something was wrong but couldn't but her finger on it.  Once she was totally immersed, she didn't know anything and in an odd way, that was easier.  I don't think there's a typical age because there are some who have early onset dementia in their 30s-40s-50s.  
      March 25, 2021 7:50 AM MDT

Meanwhile back at the ranch...Jim and his best friend Alan are playing golf today which they do almost every Saturday and after will go out for breakfast. He is 85 and I'm so PROUD of him! In-between outings he is always planning doing other stuff or doing it around the house. He doesn't just sit and wait to die. No way! Not my guy! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 27, 2021 11:58 AM MDT

Keeping occupied and exercise are two of the things you have to do to maintain your mental acuity.  I do two crosswords and the Jumble in the newspaper every day and make a valiant attempt at the crossword in the Sunday New York Times which is the hardest.  I'm getting better - some weeks I get half to three quarters of the puzzle and every now and then I get most of it.  
      March 27, 2021 12:17 PM MDT

My sister is a puzzle fiend too. I don't have the patience. But I have a Scrabble-like game on the computer called BESPELLED which is the same thing and I'm addicted to it. I play it a bit every morning before I arrive at the mug. Some days I'll play it for a couple of hours if I'm on a roll! And then too being here daily on the mug tests one's mettle. Thrust and parry. Constantly. Gotta keep agile mentally! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 28, 2021 2:34 AM MDT

For some reason, I have difficulty doing crossword puzzles on line.  I tried to do the NY Times that way, but gave up.  I find it easier on paper.  I like word games - Jumble, the ones where you find the words in a grid, etc.  Yes, being on here tests ones mettle and other things as well.
      March 28, 2021 7:14 AM MDT

A long time ago I did do crossword puzzles. I tried the one in the New York Times ONCE. I have NEVER done them in pen. Only pencil. But I'd notice I'd get frustrated more often than contentment so I just switched to something else. But your challenges are stiffer than mine by far. My hat I take off to you. Well I used to wear hats many decades ago. My figurative hat! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 28, 2021 7:20 AM MDT

I do my crosswords in pen!  The Times puzzle starts off easy on Monday and by Sunday, it's almost impossible.  I was doing it when I was in the office and could print it out on paper from the computer.  Now, I don't have a printer at home, so I'm fairly rusty.
      March 28, 2021 7:25 AM MDT

Before I tipped my figurative hat! NOW I BOW DOWN! No joke. You do crossword puzzles in INK? I shiver just contemplating it. Which proves my point. I don't have dumb friends. I make sure they are smarter than me. See? I know now you're blushing so I apologize for that but not for telling the truth. I can't apologize for that L! Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      March 28, 2021 7:33 AM MDT

Thank you. :)  I used to do them in pencil, but when I got better at it, I started using a pen.  I make mistakes, but not too many.
      March 28, 2021 7:36 AM MDT

I'm intrepid about a lot of things my friend. But I KNOW my limitations. They don't bother me but I sure appreciate the strengths of others. How can you lose being around strength? Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 28, 2021 7:38 AM MDT

It isn't as though it's a test. :)  If you make a mistake, you write over it.  The strength of others frequently makes us want to be better versions of ourselves.
      March 28, 2021 9:44 AM MDT

True. I think it matters a lot whom you admire, respect and emulate when you can. Or would like to. That millions feel/think that about FOOTOO is unbelievable! Go figger! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 28, 2021 10:04 AM MDT

Tis a shame when so many people hold him up as a role model.
      March 28, 2021 10:32 AM MDT

I did not realize there were so many lamebrains in America. I know now and I'm shocked. I'd never have believed that any country anywhere could have 74 million people who survived four years of HE** and voted for 4 more years. That is irrational illogical inane and absolutely insane. We are surrounded by crackpots. How swell is that? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 28, 2021 10:34 AM MDT

Yet, those crackpots and lamebrains will continue to vote for the same do-nothing politicians.
      March 28, 2021 11:53 AM MDT

The vast enormous millions of homo saps who adore that crap is stunningly frightening L. Maybe they always were only kept quiet. A loudmouth takes over and suddenly all of them are loudmouths. Is knowing what they are better for us? Is having them BRAZENLY take over everything with vicious endeavor "better" out loud? I dunno. Thank you for your repy! :)
      March 29, 2021 2:02 AM MDT

It is frightening.  Until recently, uttering those thoughts aloud would incur the wrath of others, but now that it's been deemed OK to spew their venom, there are so many of them that they don't care of they're ostracized or made pariahs.  There are enough of them to have their own country!
      March 29, 2021 9:16 AM MDT

I'd like them all to move to Pitcairn Island and take up with the descendents of Fletcher Christian. Create their own he** hole! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      April 3, 2021 4:46 AM MDT

My father-in-law is 92 and losing it. He hasn't (to date) forgotten his children or grandchildren, but I fear it's only a matter of time. He can't retain anything new - he enjoys the company of his great-grandchildren but hasn't the slightest idea who they are. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at April 3, 2021 4:46 AM MDT
      March 29, 2021 2:43 AM MDT

My mom was the same.  She passed away at 93, but for the two or so years before that, I don't think she knew who I was or my other sisters.  She had no idea that she had grandchildren or even knew what a great-grandchild was.  I was just a smiling face that came to visit her and she didn't know if I came every day or once a year.  There was even a point where she didn't recall any early memories and having a conversation with her was impossible because all that came out of her mouth was word salad.  Nothing made any sense.  It came to the point where one of my sisters and I would visit together so we had each other to talk to.  My dad was a bit different.  Although he was diagnosed with dementia, I don't think it was as advanced.  You could see the light in his eyes when we came to visit - he and my mom were in the same room in the same home.  His problem was the Parkinsons that had caused his inability to speak.  If you asked a "yes" or "no" question, he could respond with a nod, so I do think there was a glimmer of understanding somewhere.  He, too, was 93 when he died.  
      March 29, 2021 8:47 AM MDT

Death of a loved one at any age is sad. :(
      April 3, 2021 4:49 AM MDT

It is, but I realize that in some way I was very fortunate to have my parents around for that length of time.  Some people my age have been orphans for decades.
      April 3, 2021 8:22 AM MDT