Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The only thing about aging that worries me is mental decline. Early onset dementia can begin in your 30's 40's or 50's. Does it worry YOU?

The only thing about aging that worries me is mental decline. Early onset dementia can begin in your 30's 40's or 50's. Does it worry YOU?

Dementia is more common in people over the age of 65. Early detection can slow the progression and maintain mental function longer. What is affected is memory language communication focus and reasoning. There are ten symptoms.

Short-term memory changes
Difficulty finding the right words
Change in mood (depression is typical of early onset dementia)
Apathy/listlessness
Difficulty completing normal tasks
Confusion
Difficulty following a storyline
A failing sense of direction
Being repetitive
Struggling to adapt to change

Posted - March 25, 2021

Responses

I do worry about this. 

I like doing puzzles ie. Suduku, Logic Puzzles and other types. And coming here.   
    This type activities are supposed to be good for the excercising the brain. 
      March 25, 2021 7:18 AM MDT

That is EXCELLENT for your mind sweetie. EXCELLENT! I have no patience and I get exasperated/aggravated so I just don't go there. I play BESPELLED (Scrabble type game) every morning before I come to the mug. Sometimes I'm on there a couple of hours! I LOVE it and never get frustrated. Then of course engaging in "chat" on the mug is not for wimps or sluggards. Keeps me on my toes. My sister is the one who loves puzzles. I think staying engaged with the world and having lively discussions/disagreements is essential. Of course it won't GUARANTEE no decline but I'm sure it staves it off slows it down. Thank you for your reply m2c! :)
      March 26, 2021 4:05 AM MDT

I'm not going to worry about it. My grandmother was in her late 80s before she showed signs. My mother didn't live long enough and I probably won't either.
      March 25, 2021 12:14 PM MDT

You're not the first male to tell me he doesn't think he will live a long time. I think it's a guy thing. I can't remember ever hearing it from a woman. I shall ask. I told Jim we're going to live to our triple digits. We eat healthy food and live a healthy lifestyle and keep engaged with what is going on around us. He has never said that to me. He is a very POSITIVE person. Some guys are fatalistic and I have no idea where that comes from. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine E! :)
      March 26, 2021 4:08 AM MDT

I am 75, a couple of years ago I found my house keys in the utility drawer in the kitchen. WHAT!? 
    I became concerned because of that incident and talked with some people but everyone thought I seemed ok. I am still ok so that incident 'housekeys in the utility drawer' must have been just a fluke.
      March 25, 2021 12:46 PM MDT

As you know m'dear I'm 83. You know what's so odd? All of us did things like that decades ago. We just thought nothing of it! How many times did you hunt for your keys because you hadn't put them "where they belonged?" I once found a frozen washcloth in the freezer many decades ago. I was wiping it down when I got distracted. I laughed it off thinking nothing of it. But when you get older you worry about "the signs" of mental acuity decline. Thank you for your reply Kg and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :)
      March 26, 2021 3:57 AM MDT