Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Birds and planes both have wings. Can either fly without them?

Birds and planes both have wings. Can either fly without them?

Posted - March 25, 2021

Responses

Nope not possible.
      March 25, 2021 7:04 AM MDT

The 'lifting body' concept comes to mind. The X-24 series of aircraft, for instance. 
      March 25, 2021 7:24 AM MDT

May I impose on you to expand upon the "lifting body" concept? Also what is the X-24 series of aircraft? I can't know what the "for instance" is unless I know that. Thank you for your reply  rb and Happy Saturday to thee! :)
      March 27, 2021 12:03 PM MDT

Actually, yes... just not in the way you're thinking.

One can throw a bird, and it will fly through the air until gravity pulls it to the ground - no wings required.  If one were strong enough, they could do the same with a small wingless plane.  

Of course, I know you mean remain in the air under its own power (I'm just going outside the box).  And the answer is no.  Even gliding requires wings (or some sort of flat to semi-flat surface).  Downward pressure combined with upward lift on a flat to semi-flat surface, temporarily counteracts the downward pull of gravity (gliding).  Add a power source that can maintain constant momentum, and you have extended flight.
      March 25, 2021 11:27 AM MDT

This whole flight thing really amazes me Shuhak. That air flows faster or slower over or under an airplane wing depending on the shape/design. I simply don't comprehend how that can be. I mean the air is there and objects move through it. The air doesn't move unless it's a windy day does it? How can what cuts through it change it? A plane or a bird or a rocket? I struggle to comprehend some things that others just take for granted. This is one of them. Sigh. Thank you for your informative reply. I will keep trying to get it! :)
      March 26, 2021 5:02 AM MDT

Actually, air is constantly moving... even on calm days.  Warm air is rising and cool air is sinking.  You might think of it as warm air is fluffy and light, while cold air is dense and heavy.  As warm air rises, it cools.  As it cools, it begins to sink.  As it sinks, it begins warm again… and back up it goes.  Since the earth has vastly uneven terrains (mountains, valleys), the temperature of air isn’t constant.  That’s why all the air doesn’t rise or sink at the same time.  Thus, the air is constantly moving.

March 26, 2021 11:29 AM MDT

What? Air is in constant motion even when I don't notice it? When the tree leaves are motionless the air is still moving through? How is that possible m'dear? Right now outside it is DEADLY still. Is that air still in motion but so small I would not notice it at all? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      March 27, 2021 11:16 AM MDT

Yes, the air is still moving... just not as fast as when there is a wind.   Did you know that as you sit there you're moving at over 1000 miles an hour?  Why, the fastest land speed record is 763 mph.  Yet there you are zipping right along at 1,000 mph; with no helmet, and just as cool as a cucumber.  How is that possible?  You're sitting on a planet that is spinning at over 1,000 mph. Do you feel it?  The air around you is also moving.  Even on a dead calm day. Warm air is rising and cool air is sinking. You breathe in oxygen and nitrogen and exhale carbon dioxide.  If air didn't move at all and you stood in one place too long, you'd suffocate in your own exhaled air.

Ever watched dust particles in a shaft of sunlight?  They may not move fast, but they do move beaseru air moves.
      March 27, 2021 1:38 PM MDT

At the latitude of Hemet, CA, the earth rotates approximately 670 mph.
    Also, the vehicle show in this clip goes much faster than 763 mph. It's very cool.

March 27, 2021 2:17 PM MDT

:):):)
      March 28, 2021 1:55 AM MDT

I'm unaware of any of that Shuhak. I'm also overwhelmed. I never think of it in those terms at all. Never. Not once. One thing. I don't know what word you meant.."beaseru"? I looked it up thinking it was some specific kind of air. Did you mean "because"? Thank you for your very informative reply and Happy Sunday to you. It's gonna be a pretty hot week in Hemet! In the 80's and it's still March! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 28, 2021 10:14 AM MDT
      March 28, 2021 1:53 AM MDT

That's hot?
      March 28, 2021 8:17 AM MDT

For Hemet at the beginning of Spring it is. It bodes ill for the summer when temps can soar to 115 and more. Why do you ask? What is your normal beginning of spring temp in Toledo? What do you consider to be HOT for that time of year? Inquiring minds wanna know how come you kitbitzed on my reply to someone else. Well? Why didja?
      March 28, 2021 10:11 AM MDT

I consider hot to be 80F here during this time. Hot in the summer to me is 90F or above. Last Summer we had about 20 days above 90F.
      March 29, 2021 8:12 AM MDT

So why then did you question my use of the word HOT? You are a very confusing human being. I keep trying to understand where you are coming from. You'd think by now after all these years I'd know. I don't. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      April 3, 2021 5:00 AM MDT

I'm in a sweater at 70 or below.
      March 29, 2021 2:55 AM MDT

:)
      April 3, 2021 5:00 AM MDT

Doh!   Yes, I meant 'because'. 

Between bad eyesight and a brain that thinks faster than my fingers can type, sometimes I can type something that even google spell check doesn't recognize... even with all its fancy AI technology

Yes, it is overwhelming.  But it gets worse... not only is the earth spinning that many mph, but at the same time it's also revolving around the sun at 67,000 mph...  AND at the same time, our solar system is orbiting the center of the milky way galaxy at around 720,000 mph...  AND at the same time, the entire galaxy is moving through space at a mere 1.3 million mph.  (get out the Dramamine).

80's?  Wow!  It's only expected to reach around 70 here today, and only the lower 60's tomorrow (with wind).  Of course, that is still rather warm, as the average high temperature for this time of year is only 61.
      March 28, 2021 10:50 AM MDT

Hi Shuhak! Every morning for Jim I look up the 8-day weather report. Here's what I saw for today, March 29, 2021 forward 8 days!

AARRGGHH! That 88 on Thursday could easily slip to over 90. IN MARCH! Sheesh and oy vey! Of course your added info overwhelms me even more. WHY aren't we aware of the movement? 4 different revolvings occurring simultaneously 24/7? So we are all living in a blender set for HIGH? Does all of that motion/movement affect our bodies in some way? I've read your response three times and I get dizzy just from that! If there were no gravity would life exist on this planet? What if there were no revolvings? I'm gonna ask. About the "new word" no worries. As I get older I find my eyes or my brain is playing tricks on me. No matter how well I think I've read what I wrote before I post a question/reply almost every time I come back to one I find errors. At first I was embarrassed but I'm not now. I think it's just part of the me I am now at 83. Thank you for your helpful reply. I'm almost afraid to ask you "what else is going on 24/7 of which I am unaware?" :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 29, 2021 9:36 AM MDT
      March 29, 2021 2:44 AM MDT

That is one warm forecast!

We don't we novice it because everything around us is moving at the exact same speed, held in place by gravity.  

If there were no gravity, there'd be no universe.  Everything is held together by gravity.  
      March 29, 2021 9:56 AM MDT

And isn't gravity the black sheep in the quantum universe? It doesn't fit in smoothly at all? Where did it come from? Will it always be or is there a liftime to it? AARRGGHH. Will we ever know for sure about anything? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      March 30, 2021 3:57 AM MDT