Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever "tool around" the internet putting in names of folks you knew? I did that yesterday. Know the worst part of getting older?

Ever "tool around" the internet putting in names of folks you knew? I did that yesterday. Know the worst part of getting older?

People you know or knew die off.

I typed in the name of my best friend in grammar school and most of high school and up popped a loving tribute obituary. She passed away in February 2021 at the age of 84! We had some really great times growing up. I saw her at our 25th reunion. We exchanged info and took turns having dinner at each other's homes. Decades passed and a couple of years ago we met again and met for breakfast and spent a few hours catching up.

So that's the downside. The upside is the memories of other times.

Ever done that? "Looked up" folks you used to know?

Posted - March 26, 2021

Responses

I have looked up names of old boyfriends.  Some I've found, others I haven't.  On a group from my old neighborhood to which I belong, there was a post by a gal whose uncle used to own the Italian deli where we bought all our cold cuts.  I hadn't thought of her in ages as we weren't friends other than in the store.  I know from a friend from that time that most of the kids we hung around with, many of which were a year or two older, had already passed away.  
      March 26, 2021 9:09 AM MDT

How sad is that? Among the names I entered yesterday was one of my bosses whom I really liked. His wife and I hit off immediately. But so sad to find out he passed away in 2007 and they requested that any donations be made to PARKINSON's diesease. I assume that is what killed him. He was one of the best supervisors I ever had. He LEFT ME ALONE unless I needed his help and then he was always there. What can you ask for that would be better than that? He TRUSTED me to do my work and to ask him if I ran into a problem. He was what was MOST IMPORTANT to me. KNOWLEDGEABLE and happy to guide me when needed. So I'm kinda loathe to continue doing that. I mean 2007 he died and I just discovered it in 2021? SIGH. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 28, 2021 2:14 AM MDT
      March 27, 2021 11:35 AM MDT

It is disturbing because the folks I knew passed on quite some time ago and they were older than I, but not by that much.  
      March 27, 2021 12:22 PM MDT

I told my sis about Gail's passing (my grammar school best friend) and she emailed my friend's younger sister with condolences. They were in the same class. Very sadly she informed my sister of how awful it was. 4 months in the hospital on the edge of death with her body just shutting down. Toward the end she could not move or speak or see. I cannot get that off my mind. It's stuck in my brain and I feel so terribly bad for not having made the effort to stay in touch. I keep rerunning our times together in my head. Her son and daughter saw to it that she had the very best care. The family is very well off so money was no object. Her son who lives in Virginia flew to California in November and didn't leave until after the funeral in February. Being filled in on such details makes so much more poignant. I'm just going to have to work through it. I feel so guilty. SIGH. Thank you for your reply L. ((hugs)) This post was edited by RosieG at March 28, 2021 2:21 AM MDT
      March 28, 2021 2:20 AM MDT

Keeping in touch is a two-way street, so don't beat yourself up too much.  People who are close often go their separate ways in life, especially once you move away from each other.  At least you know she was loved and well-cared for.  That in itself is a blessing.
      March 28, 2021 7:18 AM MDT