Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Every day "stuff" happens. Some saddens some gladdens. Are you more often impressed or depressed by the nature of the "stuff"?

Every day "stuff" happens. Some saddens some gladdens. Are you more often impressed or depressed by the nature of the "stuff"?

Posted - March 30, 2021

Responses

Lately, it seems as though most all the news is negative.  I get the paper delivered daily and there always used to be some articles outside of the usual killings, shootings, stabbings, etc. that were of interest.  The Daily News has let go of a lot of writers since Covid and the paper is nothing more than advertisements and criminal activities.  I'm thinking of cancelling the paper since everything that's in there is on the 6 or 11 PM news on TV.  I can find crossword puzzles elsewhere.
      March 30, 2021 11:54 AM MDT

Pro - Canceling the paper will save you money. 
    Many newspapers have online subscriptions (sometimes for less money than getting the hard copy).  You can try it for a bit and if you find you don't use it, you can get rid of it altogether.   

After getting the paper for over 50 years, I finally canceled it last year.  I took the online subscription until what was left of my regular subscription ran out, but found I never used it.    I saved money, the recycle bin wasn't overflowing, and I found I can get better news from the internet and TV.  The Facebook page for local happenings has more information on it than the newspaper ever did... and it's current (happening now).
      March 30, 2021 12:26 PM MDT

I have an on-line subscription with the NY Times that comes with my Sunday only paper, but I never go on there.  If I cancel the physical paper, I'll just rely on the TV news or the internet.  The News was bought out by a large publisher who is famous for running the papers into the ground.  you should see how many spelling/gramma errors there are, not to mention some articles run more than one day, one of the crosswords ran two days in a row, there are complaints that the on-line paper is missing pages and the worst is that periodically, the do special inserts which I have to pay extra for and they're usually sports-themed which I couldn't care less about, but have to pay for anyway.  I'm really close to being done with it.  
      March 30, 2021 1:01 PM MDT

:):):)
      April 1, 2021 3:53 AM MDT

Apologies for intruding. Isn't FB a hotbed for lies conspiracy theories and wackadoodlenoodle crackpots?
      April 1, 2021 4:29 AM MDT

Oh, yes it is!! The page I was referring to is a closed page and is (supposedly) only for emergency or urgent situations.. fires, car wrecks, local weather, sheriff and police postings, whatever's on the scanner, search and rescue info, loud noises, and such.  They Try to weed out politics, yard sales, lost pets, and things like that
      April 2, 2021 12:01 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Shuhak! How's the hand doing? Better I hope! Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 3, 2021 3:26 AM MDT

It's getting better.
      April 3, 2021 1:20 PM MDT

"Every day in every way I am getting better and better." A mantra some famous doc coined. I think it was Emil Coue. I'll Google it!. Glad it's getting better. Thank you for your reply!)
      April 4, 2021 3:14 AM MDT

Our newspaper is a shadow of its former self. It's almost like a throwaway sizewise. But I keep subscribing to it and always will even though I get the news from the internet and TV. Why? Because I cannot imagine a day without going out in the front yard and getting my newspaper. Jim doesn't read them. He is always reading other things..books, magazines. If there is something of importance I will tell him or hand him that section for him to read. Many years ago my son stopped subscribing. I just can't not subscribe. Old habits die hard. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 3, 2021 3:27 AM MDT
      April 1, 2021 3:46 AM MDT

I know what you mean about old habits dying hard, but it's getting to the point that there's nothing to read besides the stabbings, murders, etc.  They raised the price and reduced the articles of interest.  It looks as though children are writing what is there - poor spelling, terrible grammar - page after page of advertisements.  It takes me a long time to get irritated at things like that, but I've just about had it with the paper.  The other tabloid, the New York Post, is even worse - a step above The Enquirer.  
      April 1, 2021 8:02 AM MDT

How sad is that? I suppose we can blame the internet for that. Death of bookstores. Death of libraries. Death of newspapers. You can get it faster on the 'net at any hour of any day anywhere in the world. There is no way to beat that timewise. Otherwise? What we used to experience and value is gone for so many. I bet there are kids who have ventured into a library much less stayed for hours to use the research books you are not allowed to check out. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      April 1, 2021 8:07 AM MDT

It is sad, but that's the nature of things.  Autos came along and other than the Amish, no more horses and buggies.  :)
      April 1, 2021 8:09 AM MDT

What will replace autos? Years ago there was a cartoon about a family living in the future and everything was via air not roads. OH. The JETSONS! Remember that? Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      April 1, 2021 8:10 AM MDT

Well, I think autos will be around for some time, but will become all electric - no gasoline.  Perhaps, for single use, jet-packs, but if you have a family, you still need a vehicle that can carry more then one person.
      April 1, 2021 12:00 PM MDT

True. Trying to envision what's to come futurely vis a vis autos is fun. Maybe individuals will be equpped with jetpacks and we will be flying about just as we drive about today. Traffic jams in the sky! You'd need air traffic controllers for jetpackers. I'll ask. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      April 2, 2021 3:36 AM MDT

I know that I've done some risky things in the past (sky diving, white water rafting, hot air ballooning), but I think jetpacks are in the same category as bungee jumping for me - things I will never do. :)
      April 2, 2021 9:55 AM MDT

Risky things. That got me to thinking. I can't remember ever doing anything risky. Well you'll laugh at this. When my son attended Cal Berkeley he lived in Albany..the town next to it. The first time I drove up to visit him was very scary for me. I carried a hammer and put in on the floor in front of the passenger's seat. He had marked up a map for me and also written directions out on a separate piece of paper. It turned out just fine and I did it many times thereafter. But that first time? Driving almost 500 miles alone on my own? Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 3, 2021 3:46 AM MDT
      April 2, 2021 11:23 AM MDT

I know the feeling.  If I have one fear, it's getting lost.  The first time I drove down to my sister in PA, I was so nervous I thought I would pass out.  I did get lost that first time and a couple of times after that.  
      April 2, 2021 11:49 AM MDT

I have more than once since I have a lousy "sense of direction." One time the freeway was stopped dead in its tracks. That's when I worked about 30 miles away from home. I'd never taken any other way to get home but I got off and then spent 2-1/2 hours trying to get home! I finally made it and my son was so worried. That was the scariest since it was in the winter and I was driving literally in the dark. I get twisted around and sometimes landmarks look different from another direction. I've struggled with it my entire life. My friend OLD SCHOOL never gets lost. He has a directional signal inside his head. Boy I sure could use one. But I rarely drive these days and never alone. In fact it's been well over a year. When we go out Jim always drives. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 3, 2021 8:30 AM MDT
      April 3, 2021 3:41 AM MDT

The one of the first times when I was coming back from my sister in PA, I took the wrong entrance after the toll booth and had to drive 25 miles before I could get off and turn around and then another 25 miles back to where I should have been.  I have a brother-in-law who must have a GPS in his head because no matter where he is, he ca figure out how to get where he's going.  I think there was some research done that indicated that me have better senses of direction than women and when you tell them to go south, they know whether they have to make a left or a right.  Women are more likely to need a landmark - make a left at the Exxon station.  
      April 3, 2021 8:33 AM MDT

I totally believe that. Jim doesn't seem to have a problem with direction either. Not quite as obvious as Old School but I like how you phrased it..."must have a GPS in his". I think that's true of Old School too. But I also think men in general have less of a problem. I'll ask. Thank you for your reply which is also quite informative! ((hugs))
      April 3, 2021 9:54 AM MDT

We jokingly call my brother-in-law Magellan.
      April 3, 2021 10:19 AM MDT

That is so way cool! Thank you for sharing that with us L! Appreciate it! :)
      April 3, 2021 10:32 AM MDT