Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » If Chauvin, in uniform and on duty, had been on the ground with civilian George Floyd kneeling on his neck for 9 minutes and Chauvin died

If Chauvin, in uniform and on duty, had been on the ground with civilian George Floyd kneeling on his neck for 9 minutes and Chauvin died

soon after, don’t you believe Floyd would be facing murder charges and Chauvin’s toxicology history would not be part of the court case?

Posted - April 5, 2021

Responses

I absolutely agree.  In fact today's testimony, which I just posted to my2cents, indicates that it was not likely that drugs played a significant part in his death.
      April 5, 2021 3:13 PM MDT

As if the drug history is truly relevant: Floyd is the victim here. This is nothing more than blaming the victim. 

I understand that each defendant has the legal right to the best defense possible, and that all avenues of probability have to be pursued to seek reasonable doubt of guilt or culpability. I just think it’s disgusting that the needless and senseless act of kneeling on the neck of a prone and handcuffed man who is not actively resisting somehow gets clouded in this case. I don’t care if Floyd was bombed out of his mind, not one human being was in any danger of being hurt by Floyd once those handcuffs were applied and he was surrounded by and under the physical control of at least four police officers. 

April 5, 2021 3:23 PM MDT

I can't argue with anything you said.  What happened to Mr. Floyd should never happen.
      April 6, 2021 1:56 PM MDT

Floyd would be facing murder charges, just as Chauvin is and he would have been entitled to a defense, just as Chauvin is. He might attempt to impugn the witness and cast doubt as to the reason for his actions and the cause of death. The defense attorney is just doing his job and so far, I don't believe he has been very successful in causing me or presumably, the jury to doubt any of the witness testimony or what we all saw happen on the multiple videos.  The MPD as evidenced by the four officers who have testified for the prosecution so far and by the open letter copied below are not standing with the defendant.

We wholeheartedly condemn Derek Chauvin. We Are With You in the denouncement of Derek Chauvin’s actions on Memorial Day, 2020. Like us, Derek Chauvin took an oath to hold the sanctity of life most precious. Derek Chauvin failed as a human and stripped George Floyd of his dignity and life. This is not who we are.

We Are With You and want to communicate a sentiment that is broad within our ranks. We ask that our voices be heard. We are leaders, formal and informal, and from all ranks within the Minneapolis Police Department. We’re not the union or the administration. We are officers who represent the voices of hundreds of other Minneapolis Police Officers. Hundreds. We acknowledge that Chief Arradondo needs each of us to dutifully follow him while he shows us the way. We stand ready to listen and embrace the calls for change, reform and rebuilding. We Are With You moving forward.

April 5, 2021 4:10 PM MDT

If the toxicology report was not part of the case, then that would mean Floyd's lawyers were not worth their law degrees.

AND is it not HISTORY...it is a toxicology report from that day. Floyd ingested the drugs during the arrest.  It is relevant.  His history of ingesting his drugs during arrest is also relevant.  

The officer should go to jail.  I do not believe there is a chance of murder because the hold attempted (as agreed by the Chief) was an legal hold at the time. It was not performed correctly.  He will likely get manslaughter because the hold was legal.  But there is a chance, he could get off because of the hold being legal. 

I DO NOT think he should get off.  But think there is a chance.  This post was edited by my2cents at April 13, 2021 9:37 AM MDT
      April 13, 2021 9:30 AM MDT