Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A Mugger sez "political correctness is destroying this country." Agree or dis? Why?

A Mugger sez "political correctness is destroying this country." Agree or dis? Why?

I take it to mean you SHOULD call African Americans "the N word". And all the other derogatory labels homo saps invent to refer to one another.

Doing that would solve all our problems. Call a spade a spade. Don't flinch. Go for it. What could it hurt?

Of course I think that is absurdly ridiculously simplistic and wrong. What do YOU think?

Posted - April 10, 2021

Responses

It IS destroying this country.  

Political Correctness (PC) is a way to make everyone more inclusive (gender and race neutral).  

Examples of PC-

A manhole cover out is now a utility cover
    Can't call a hooker a prostitute, now shes a sex worker. (as if that makes it any better)
    Don't go looking for a policeman when you have problems, look for a police person.
    That 400 pound person who just eats Twinkies and soda?  They're no longer fat, they're just a bit overweight.
    Going out to a restaurant?  Don't expect to find a waiter or a waitress, just a server.
    Need to hire a maid to clean your house?  Good luck!  They're now house helpers.   
    Good news!  You're no longer the black sheep of the family.  You're just an outcast.
    In 1966 the Beatles sang "Taxman".  If they wrote that song today it'd have to be tax officer. (I dunno...somehow it throws off the beat).
    Sorry, Mother Goose, but we can't have Three Blind Mice.  They're now visually impaired mice.  (3 visually impaired mice.  3 visually mice....).

By the way, using the n-word is fine... just so long as the one saying it is black.    

April 10, 2021 4:02 PM MDT

Wow! I honestly don't know what to say about any of this. Shuhak Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thee and thine. I see no connection between white supremacist racist hate and any words one uses to describe anything. NONE. My fault I'm sure. Wow.
      April 11, 2021 1:29 AM MDT

This is but a sampling of the "tamer" side of PC
      April 11, 2021 5:32 AM MDT

Political correctness be dam*ed. It is polite consideration that I support. I shall ask. Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes! Will you? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      April 11, 2021 8:00 AM MDT

Political correctness isn't destroying anything. Bigotry is.
      April 11, 2021 12:27 PM MDT

Hate comes from fear Gb. Also envy/jealousy. It is a very sad thing that people are educated to hate at a very young age. RACISTS and BIGOTS inculcate their little kids with hatred and it works. They create replicas of themselves. A horrific thing to do to innocent children. Hate propagates hate propagates hate propagates hate. Lies help a lot. But it is extreme fear and envy that keeps stoking it. Those who hate because of skin color are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. They are impressionable and shapable and silly putty in the hands of those who control them. Sadly. Sigh. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :)
      April 12, 2021 1:41 AM MDT

Where I come from we chased away all the racists and bigots years ago. They will never be welcome here. We inculcate our kids with equalitarian views and raise them to be civilised. Why can't the whole world be like that? Happy Monday to you too. :)
      April 12, 2021 1:08 PM MDT

How in the heck were you able to do that m'dear? I mean that is such a  HUGE accomplishment. Boy you must live in a section of paradise.Raising your children to be CIVILIZED and Egalitarian? Lucky them! Thank you for your heartwarming and uplifting reply. Now how do we bottle what you've accomplished and make it available to others? I AM SERIOUS! Happy Tuesday to thee and thine Gb! :)
      April 13, 2021 1:39 AM MDT

Older generations accomplished it gradually. By the time I came to be born (1989) we'd been a politically correct community for quite some time. Did people not make such a sincere effort in your area in the 1950s or 60s, Rosie?
      April 13, 2021 12:58 PM MDT

Sadly and honestly I didn't pay any attention to what was going on in the world or around me until later. I was born in 1937. Graduated from high school in 1954. Attended Jr. College for two years and in 1958 I got married. I don't remember any politics from that time. I guess I was oblivious. The first political thing I recall was voting for JFK! There was a certain magic to him and Jackie and Caroline and JFK junior. I do remember the high regard in FDR my parents had. I don't recall disliking Republicans at all. In fact I really liked some of them. So I admit apartness and ignorance and a definite lack of caring or interest. Obtuse maybe. What really pulled me in was the Viet Nam War. "He** no we won't go!" Then the Civil Rights movement and Martin Luther King Jr. I remember busing and WHITES hating that people of color were being bussed in and out. I knew people who moved away from areas where kids were being bussed in. Then there was "Tear down this wall Mr. Kruschev" and Iran Contra courtesy of Ronald Reagan After that there was no letup. I got pulled in deeper. Long answer to your simple question. Apologes to thee Gb but I was never asked that question so I never gave any thought to it. Thank you for your reply. Did I answer your question m'dear? This post was edited by RosieG at April 16, 2021 5:47 AM MDT
      April 16, 2021 5:46 AM MDT

The pendulum has swung too far. Sixty years ago, racism was "okay", obviously that had to change. However, it has now gone too far - the iconic Australian "Coon" cheese has had to change name for being racially offensive, despite being named for Edward Coon, the (white) inventor of the fast maturation process that is still known as "cooning".
      April 13, 2021 5:02 PM MDT