Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "A son is a son till he takes a wife. A daugher's a daughter all of her life." True/faux?

"A son is a son till he takes a wife. A daugher's a daughter all of her life." True/faux?

Posted - April 12, 2021

Responses

By literal interpretation, false.  
      April 12, 2021 11:36 AM MDT

Really? Wife is the social secretary and plans things. Wife usually wants to live closer to her family. Does wife hubby and kids spend time equally with her husband's parents or her parents? Does wife give BOTH SETS OF GRANDPARENTS equal time with the grandchildren or is time spent with hers SKEWED to a larger share?

Of course there are exceptions. How many I do not know. Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! Equal access. Equal opportunity. Mebbe. Mebbe not. I wonder if you ever had occasion to notice? This post was edited by RosieG at April 13, 2021 1:31 PM MDT
      April 13, 2021 1:56 AM MDT

It is true but I don't care as long as I am always part of it. We had a backyard lunch with our daughter in law, son and 2 grandkids yesterday and it was easy to see to see that our son will be happy to see his son get a new priority when he takes a wife but his little girl will be his little girl forever. Cheers!

April 12, 2021 12:07 PM MDT

That's from the male standoint m'dear. Many if not most women will always defer to their families. Live closer to them and see them more often as a natural consequence. The husband goes along with it to keep peace in the family. Then when their sons are grown and get wives of their own THEY GET PAYBACK. Sad that. But it is the way of the world. The wifey dominates the social interactions and almost always won't be fair. Hubby may nor like it but well what is he going to do? Argue with her for equal time with HIS family? I think there is some law or something that controls it because IT IS UBIQUITOUS. AARRGGHH! Thank you for your reply! So did you get to spend as much time with YOUR family after you were married? Of course you don't have to answer that. Just wonderin'..... This post was edited by RosieG at April 13, 2021 1:46 AM MDT
      April 13, 2021 1:44 AM MDT

No. Of course not. 
      April 12, 2021 2:46 PM MDT

So you spend as much time with your husband's folks as your folks then? Your kids spend equal time with each set of grandparents? No favoritism toward your family timewise? Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 13, 2021 6:05 AM MDT
      April 13, 2021 1:14 AM MDT

My family lives 7 hrs away. My MIL lives in the same town. So the kids did see her more often.  Holidays were split equally. Used to do Thanksgiving every other year. We would go to MIL house Christmas eve. Home all day Christmas. And depending on schedules go to my parents either the weekend before or after Christmas.  My kids used to spend 2 weeks with parents in the summertime. 
      April 13, 2021 6:05 AM MDT

I think YOU are the exception then m2c. No I can't prove it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 16, 2021 7:44 PM MDT
      April 15, 2021 2:26 AM MDT

Thinking about people I know...it about an even split. 
    You know what they say there is always an exception that proves the rule. :)
      April 16, 2021 8:07 PM MDT

I think mostly it's the woman who CONTROLS the social lives of the family. It is good to know that some women are FAIR and evenly split time with both sets of parents. NOT GRUDGINGLY but lovingly. Thank you for your reply m2c!  I think you would have been a good daughter in law. It seems you are! :)
      April 17, 2021 4:52 AM MDT