Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is "FAIR" an abstract concept that will never be achieved? What benefits some may be/is at the expense of others. Always, sometimes, never?

Is "FAIR" an abstract concept that will never be achieved? What benefits some may be/is at the expense of others. Always, sometimes, never?

Posted - April 13, 2021

Responses

I have my own definition of fair...same rules for everyone.
      April 13, 2021 10:09 AM MDT

I don't think that's the problem E. The same rules APPLY to everyone. It is the aftermath/punishment that is different according to who is doing the doling out of it. Isn't it? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :)
      April 16, 2021 5:56 AM MDT

I agree, but I try to only apply it to my family.
      April 16, 2021 9:13 AM MDT

You do? Only to your family and nothing else? That seems extremely INSULAR to me. You are unaware or just don't care about FAIR as it applies to anyone or anything outside of your family?
    Well I think you are not alone. I think that is ubiquitous. Most folks only pay attention/care about that which affects THEM and so it goes. The way of the world. It just is. Thank you for your reply and the question I'm going to ask.
      April 18, 2021 3:17 AM MDT

I did apply it to my students, but I'm not teaching anymore. I can see unfair treatment everywhere, but I can't do anything about it. I strongly dislike unfair treatment of minorities, (I don't like the term "people of color". It's the same as calling them "colored people".) but I can do little about what others do. I treat everyone as fairly as I can. This post was edited by Element 99 at April 19, 2021 8:03 AM MDT
      April 18, 2021 11:19 AM MDT

People of color include me...Armenian heritage. Does it include you? People of color are not limited to African American as you seem to imply. It is everyone not BRIGHT WHITE. Since I consider myself a "person of color" I shall continue to use that. If you don't like well I guess you don't have to read my postings then. If you are not a BRIGHT WHITE what are you then? Thank you for your reply. Another question from this. It is never-ending.
      April 19, 2021 3:59 AM MDT