Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Military » Why are princes Charles, Harry, and William always dressed in military garb even though they're obviously not on active duty?

Why are princes Charles, Harry, and William always dressed in military garb even though they're obviously not on active duty?

Posted - April 23, 2021

Responses

There are occasions where I could wear my military garb if I chose to. I gave them away, though, as they no longer fit.
      April 23, 2021 8:19 AM MDT

I don’t know the United Kingdom’s rules and regs on the matter, especially taking into consideration they’re members of royalty, so my answer is based on my status as a veteran of the US Armed Forces. 

In the US, there are certain conditions and situations under which the military uniform can be worn by veterans and retirees. One cannot, however, pose as or attempt pose as an active duty servicemember, nor exact/exert any military authority. 
    ~

April 23, 2021 8:20 AM MDT

They were all in the military.  They have the right to wear their military clothing if they want.  Many former military people wear them here as well. 

They likely see it as a way of reminding people that the served.  And perhaps as a form of respect for the military. 
      April 23, 2021 8:23 AM MDT

I’m willing to bet that being in the Royal Family, there are probably certain events or functions wherein they are required to be in uniform. 

~

April 23, 2021 8:29 AM MDT

They are symbolic leaders of designated Units as well as Organizations

Harry lost the right except when at a Dining in to wear the Uniform when he stepped down.  He did serve in an active unit on deployment however so he might push Remembrance Day.

Served on a number of Joint Mission and learned enough to become very confused
      April 27, 2021 2:40 PM MDT

They wear military uniforms only when appropriate to the formal occasion involved. The rest of the time they wear ordinary suits at work, and casual clothes when not. 
      April 29, 2021 5:09 PM MDT

Formal reasons. All are former servicemen, as is their matriarch, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth (served as an ATS mechanic in World War II). Ergo, they are not only entitled but required to be in uniform when the occasion demands it.
      April 29, 2021 5:30 PM MDT