Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Nationwide, do you believe the federal, state, county, and city governments are doing all they can to eradicate homelessness?

Nationwide, do you believe the federal, state, county, and city governments are doing all they can to eradicate homelessness?

~

Posted - April 26, 2021

Responses

No. Our homeless population here has stabilized, but has not decreased.
      April 26, 2021 4:15 PM MDT

NOPE! For example, NASA had a budget of $22.629 billion dollars in 2020. Oh, the possibilities if those people had a tiny piece of that pie. Job training, a place to live, or even medical treatment? Space exploration has taken priority over human lives. The human race is a bunch of sick F**KS as far as I'm concerned!!! More than 580,000 homeless people are out on the streets and if they were taken care of, there would be no homeless.
    This post was edited by Zack at April 27, 2021 6:52 AM MDT
      April 26, 2021 4:53 PM MDT

You make a fair point, but your analysis falls short with the assumptions that NASA could abruptly be shut down and defunded and that the people and factors that influence budgetary decisions would converge and cause those resources to be suddenly shifted and targeted for homelessness as opposed to other competing purposes, infrastructure improvement, for example, and furthermore, that there could and would be virtually instant universal consensus on how best to spend and use the funds for that purpose. It is, unfortunately, a very pie-in-the-sky, idealistic proposition.
      April 26, 2021 5:06 PM MDT

It's not a simple question in that there is no single solution. For example, economic development and employment/job creation, as well as how mental health and substance abuse issues are addressed, factor into the reduction of homelessness.
      April 26, 2021 5:31 PM MDT

Taking your answer into consideration, you think the government entities are doing all they can?

That‘s the part you didn’t address. 

~

April 26, 2021 8:09 PM MDT

It's impossible to say without a concrete description of what can be done. And that should also take into account the roles of the private and non-profit sectors. Unless you believe it is solely government's responsibility to fix all of society's ills.
      April 26, 2021 8:25 PM MDT

You’re not only dancing away from and around the question and throwing distracting sidebars, you’re also over complicating a simple topic. If you wish to introduce other entities besides government ones, fine. That’s your question or tangent, not mine. Nor did I state that government should or should not be the only responsible party. 

Is government taking on the problem of homelessness effectively enough to eradicate it?
    ~

April 26, 2021 8:31 PM MDT

Not dancing around anything. You just asked if government is acting effectively to eradicate homelessness. But the public sector alone is incapable of eradicating homelessness. I'm not at all sure that even a multi-sectoral effort can eradicate it.
      April 26, 2021 8:39 PM MDT

But the public sector alone is incapable of eradicating homelessness.”

So your answer is?

April 26, 2021 8:42 PM MDT

It is. Unless, of course, it isn't.
      April 26, 2021 10:16 PM MDT

No!  All they can see are dollar signs.  A few throw money at it to make it look like they're doing something, but they're not.  Some cities in The Central Valley tried to solve their homeless problem by sticking them on busses and dumping them up here (especially the loonies and druggies).  The homeless population here almost equals the general population (less than 10% are "locals").  

The problem is multifaceted.  Some of the homeless want to be homeless (at least around here).  Being homeless means having no responsibilities (such as bills).  "Some homeless are "mental" (a higher percentage than we like to think).  Some are druggies (easier to stay on than try to get off).  Some homeless are simply down on their luck (lost a job, excessive medical bills, etc.). 
    COVID didn't help matters any.  Companies are raising prices on just about everything (partially in an effort to make up for the profits they lost dung the past year), rents are extravagant (and now many people owe back rent), "taxes" are increasing exponentially (they call them fees to get around any legal problems), and jobs aren't that plentiful (minimum wage won't cut it).  
      April 26, 2021 6:03 PM MDT

No matter what government does regarding this issue, it will be wrong.  Letting it get so out of hand was unwise and outside any agreement between government and citizens.  In the end, the strongest 25% will heed a warning of impending removal and the others, God bless them, may face demise.  To tell the truth (I know this makes you think I'm about to lie but I'm not) the homeless here are invisible.  There is so much land along fresh water canals that they are unbothered and have a water source that I would not drink but many of them have those straw-type things that cleans water as you suck.  They do get hurt by alligators every now and then but I don't hear of it too much.  They gather their trash and sneak to put it in people's trash cans and dumpsters during the night.  I've seen this a few times.  I've heard there are a few places they can actually shower...might be at or behind the health department.   The police go out and gather those who want shelter when we have nights below freezing which is about 2 days every other year.  They visit the library in the hot summer.  The workers don't mind them sitting on the floor in the entrance hall.  I don't either.  It's a public building; like it or not, they are the public.  We have much for which to be thankful. 
      April 26, 2021 9:00 PM MDT

(I know this makes you think I'm about to lie but I'm not) 

I don’t think you’re lying at all; I know how many homeless people fall under invisibility. It happens here in California too. 

~

April 26, 2021 9:06 PM MDT

Not long ago we talked here about when a sentence starts with To tell you the truth, you know a lie is on the way.  So I was just clarifying. 
      April 26, 2021 9:15 PM MDT

I hold you in a different category, mon amie.

~

April 26, 2021 9:19 PM MDT