Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If we ban menthol cigarettes should we also ban menthol coughdrops? What's the skinny on menthol healthwise or otherwise?

If we ban menthol cigarettes should we also ban menthol coughdrops? What's the skinny on menthol healthwise or otherwise?

Allegedly there is aggressive marketing going on targeting the African American community.

Anyone?

Posted - April 29, 2021

Responses

Menthol would have a bad effect if someone has an allergy.  Otherwise is not a health risk. And used in:
    • Breath fresheners, candies, and gum
    • Mouthwashes
    • Cough drops
    • Creams and lotions to relieve itching
    • Inhalants, lozenges, or ointments for treating nasal congestion
    • Drugs for treating sore mouth, throat, or gums
    • Creams, lotions, or ointments to alleviate pain

Menthol is used in all cigarettes.  Just in varying degrees.  

When inhaled, menthol produces a cooling sensation in the throat, reducing the harsh taste of cigarettes and the irritation of nicotine. 

It is a flavoring just as they had flavored vapes (now illegal) and cigars.  

April 29, 2021 8:48 AM MDT

Do you know or have any idea why cig companies metholize ads directed at African Americans? Thank you for your helpful and informative reply m2c and Happy Friday to thee and thine.
      April 30, 2021 4:43 AM MDT

I think that black people just prefer the taste.  All of the black people I know who smoked used Newport.  I know a few whites who did.  
    Personally, as a former smoker I did not like menthol cigs. I preferred Winston for the taste. It tasted stronger to me.   
    I think it is a taste thing. The cigarette manufacturers likely realized who was buying the type of product and marketed accordingly.
      April 30, 2021 4:58 AM MDT

What does menthol have to do with targeting Black people?
      April 29, 2021 11:24 AM MDT

I have no idea. I was hoping geniuses like you would and so therefore to whit you could educate me and inform but you aren't. You are just questioning my question. Now what? Where do I go for an answer to this? HELP. AU SECOUR! OY VEY!
      April 29, 2021 11:27 AM MDT

Most Black smokers I know smoke menthol cigarettes.
      April 29, 2021 11:30 AM MDT

Do you have any idea why? What I read said the target audience for menthol cigarettes are blacks. But I don't know WHY. I was hoping you or others would. Weird. Thank you for your reply. Why not ask one of them? What could it hurt?
      April 29, 2021 11:34 AM MDT

I don't know. I will ask my brother-in-law.
      April 29, 2021 11:41 AM MDT

Thanks E.
      April 30, 2021 4:44 AM MDT

They feel it is "targeting" blacks ... the same way flavored vape products are "targeting" school children.

The only reason the government hasn't banned cigarettes is because they make money off it.
    The government doesn't give a damn about our health, when they can make money off our addictions.
      April 29, 2021 3:03 PM MDT

It's obvious why they flavor things for kids. KIDS LIKE SWEETS. Make 'em sweet and flavor 'em and ya got the kid market. But Menthol for African American? WHY? Thank you for your reply Walt.
      April 30, 2021 4:45 AM MDT

Probably has something to do with the allegation that there is more cigarette advertising in poor neighborhoods ... and "everybody knows" that only blacks live in poor neighborhoods.
      April 30, 2021 12:48 PM MDT

Not in my neck of the woods. 
      April 30, 2021 3:25 PM MDT

I have no first-hand experience with advertising of cigarettes (or alcohol) being "worse" in poor neighborhoods.
    It's against the law in Washington and Oregon to advertise either, in a store front.
    They're even limited on how much advertising signage they are allowed indoors.

But I keep hearing that there's more advertising "targeting" poor neighborhoods.

Of course, I believe it's because poor neighborhoods are more likely to have neighborhood mini-marts.
    I haven't seen many neighborhood stores in middle-class neighborhoods.  And none in "wealthy" neighborhoods.
      May 4, 2021 1:47 PM MDT

There is Walt? Something else I did not know. So the implication is that rich people are smarter right? Well that might be true for one reason. The wealthy can afford to eat nutritious foods, exercise and get medical care as a preventive measure. The poor can't always do that. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 1, 2021 2:47 AM MDT

It's a decongestant, and as such is actually helpful unless you're allergic.

The downside is when you put it in cigarettes - it reduces the irritation caused and thus encourages the smoker to smoke more. Nicotine is the most addictive drug known to exist.
    Three of the five most addictive drugs are perfectly legal - nicotine (#1), alcohol (#2) and caffeine (#5). I'm a coffee fiend myself.
      April 29, 2021 6:00 PM MDT

So smoking more is the goal then for adding methol? Why stop at targeting African Americans? Why not metholize all ads to all groups for everyone all the time? I don't get it! Thank you for your informative reply R. I never buy menthol cough drops. I dislike the taste.
      April 30, 2021 4:47 AM MDT