Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Did you ever buy anything for a low price at a garage sale only to find out it was quite valuable?

Did you ever buy anything for a low price at a garage sale only to find out it was quite valuable?

My wife bought a necklace for 20 and it was worth 400. It was 12K gold.

Posted - October 24, 2016

Responses

I'm not a garage sale kind of girl. :)
      October 24, 2016 6:24 PM MDT

• At garage sales and op-shops, my eye is only for something serviceable and necessary, like a new iron. Or, with luck, classic literature in hardback. I can recognise the cultural value in books and art, something that could do well at auction. But the very act of selling brings up huge irrational inhibitions - a Midas I shall never be. If I see such a thing, I'm more likely to pass it on to a library, gallery or museum.
      October 24, 2016 6:36 PM MDT

No.  But one time I saw a box fall out of the back of a truck.  I stopped to kick it out of the street.  I was curious as to what it was so when the truck didn't come back I put the box in my trunk.  I forgot about it.  A couple weeks later my FIL was at my house and I thought about it.  He throws nothing away so I figured he would want it whatever it was.  When he saw it he got excited.  I don't even remember what it was now, but it was a piece of equipment that he was thrilled to get free.  It was brand new.
      October 24, 2016 6:43 PM MDT