Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Language » I stubbed my toe on the bedroom dresser, and it inspired me to post these questions:

I stubbed my toe on the bedroom dresser, and it inspired me to post these questions:

“Stub” is a verb that in the English language only appears to apply to one very particular and very precise part of the human body. I cannot think of any other references in English where it comes into play as a verb. We don’t say, “I stubbed my elbow, or chin, or finger, or knee”. More than that, the concept of stubbing one’s toe, and/or the phrase, “I stubbed my toe” is so deeply ingrained into our shared vernacular that even though we sometimes express it in other ways, such as, “I banged my toe” or “I smashed my toe”, the stub is more common.

Two questions:
1. What other verb is used expressly for talking about only one particular human body part the way this one is for a toe?

2. Prove me wrong. Can you think of other commonly-known uses of the verb “stub” in relation to human body parts?

~

Posted - May 18, 2021

Responses

Good grief!  Just wear some shoes, you're making our brains hurt.
      May 18, 2021 6:12 PM MDT

Have you ever heard an adult say "I stabbed my toe" instead of "stubbed"? I have. 

1) Jammed. I've only ever heard it in reference to fingers/thumb. 

2) Not the verb "stub", but I've heard it used as a noun in reference to body parts. 
      May 18, 2021 8:48 PM MDT

1) I have to send you a PM; it’s too obscene for here.

2)  Moot. That’s why I stresses verb form many times. 

[You’re starting to slip. Perhaps my confidence in you has been misplaced and you should be dropped a few rungs on a certain acuity listing. Cough, cough.] 

May 18, 2021 9:12 PM MDT

Grrrr! 

Something fit for audiences of all ages! 

Many times, really? I find twice. Twice is not many! 

May 19, 2021 6:33 PM MDT

Acuity can be a very tricky measuring stick. Besides, I actually need more reasons to exclude “applicants” than I need to include them. Cull the herd, you know.
    ~

May 19, 2021 6:46 PM MDT

Consider me culled, then. 
      May 19, 2021 6:48 PM MDT

It’s a good thing it’s only temporary. That’s the trickiness of this process.  (I‘ve arranged for some extra credit you can do to get yourself back in my good graces.)
    ~
      May 19, 2021 6:53 PM MDT

Nice back-peddling. 
      May 19, 2021 6:58 PM MDT

Oops, there you go again, getting yourself kicked down three or four notches on the list. Mouthy one, aren’t you?

___

May 19, 2021 7:00 PM MDT

Duh. 

May 19, 2021 7:03 PM MDT

1 is easy. Corked thigh, happens to sportspeople in contact sports all the time.

2 is much harder, I can't think of any.
      May 19, 2021 2:15 AM MDT