Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The oldest known portrait of Jesus was found in Syria in 235 showing him as beardless/cleanshaven. Today he is shown with a beard. Why?

The oldest known portrait of Jesus was found in Syria in 235 showing him as beardless/cleanshaven. Today he is shown with a beard. Why?

Posted - May 19, 2021

Responses

I can't say for sure, but the reason is probably because somewhere along the line someone confused Nazarene with Nazarite.   A Nazarene was someone from or associated with the town of Nazareth in Galilee.  A Nazarite is a person who took a vow to God (Numbers 6:1-21) which includes not cutting their hair (Numbers 6:5).

It's also possible that artists simply wanted him to look more manly.

(Note: There are NO real portraits of Jesus, only human imagination.)

May 19, 2021 10:27 AM MDT

I KNOW. If there were I would have mentioned it Shuhak. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 19, 2021 10:40 AM MDT

What do you expect for a guy who hasn't shaved in 2,000 years, lol?
      May 19, 2021 10:50 AM MDT

According to Old Testament, Scripture Jesus had a beard.

"I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting." -Isaiah 50:6

However, the New Testament Scriptures contain no reference to Jesus’ appearance, much less a description of him. We don’t know what he looked like. So unless they had cameras during His life on earth, the paintings you see of Jesus are nothing more than a representation of what the artist thought He should look like. This is why you see so much disparity in the "supposed" portraits of Jesus.
      May 19, 2021 11:12 AM MDT

" The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters.

Rev 1:14
      May 19, 2021 12:51 PM MDT