Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What's the diff between "taking the 5th" and admitting "guilty as charged"?

What's the diff between "taking the 5th" and admitting "guilty as charged"?

Posted - May 26, 2021

Responses

Not everyone who takes the 5th is the person who is charged with the crime.  They might be a witness testifying and responding completely might give the authorities a reason to charge them with something.
      May 26, 2021 5:18 AM MDT

But if they have knowledge of essential facts and refuse to disclose them then they are GUILTY of that aren't they? I know we have the Fifth to protect us from self-incrimination. Convenient. Also I think a great thing for corruption to flourish and crooks to take over power and control.

Thank you for your reply L. I'm a fan of telling the truth. Not so much a fan of the guilty the corrupt the devious the duplicitous. My bad luck! :(
      May 26, 2021 5:25 AM MDT

I'm not sure they could legally be guilty of obstruction if they are not revealing information based on their Fifth Amendment rights.  I prefer the truth, too, but you and I don't live the kinds of lives that would require us to plead the 5th. :)
      May 26, 2021 7:11 AM MDT

Touche sweetie! Touche. Very true. You know that's probably why I am so confused by so many things. I can't relate to them personally at all. It's like all of THEM speak some ancient extintct language and I keep struggling to understand it. To me doing wrong knowingly is so stupid. Sometimes you do wrong but not intentionally. It's just that you weren't thinking or you didn't have enough information. You're still wrong but it wasn't purposefully. That I can deal with. That I can understand. But so many of them SET OUT ON PURPOSE to do wrong. I cannot grasp the enormity of it. Can you? The easier simpler life is to just follow the rules..don't break them or ignore them. SIGH. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 26, 2021 8:10 AM MDT
      May 26, 2021 8:00 AM MDT

I agree completely.  We were raised not to be deceitful or to take advantage of others for our own benefit.  Others have a more devious nature.  
      May 26, 2021 8:11 AM MDT

It's not easy living in the world among other ilks whose values and thinking are so very different from ours. It has probably always been like that L but I just didn't notice it. What with the last 4 years and currently that's all I do is notice...the vastness of our differences from theirs. SIGH. Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at May 27, 2021 4:10 AM MDT
      May 26, 2021 8:18 AM MDT

It seems to be more pronounced in the last several years than it was before.  Starting with the Obama administration and the GOP having a platform of thwarting his every move, with each side digging in their heels and not being willing to compromise, there's deadlock.  
      May 26, 2021 1:36 PM MDT

I remember that son of an itch moscow mitch vowing to make President Obama a one-term president. He failed miserably at that. He will try to do the same for Joe. He is a piece of sh** from head to toe and worthless. Of course that means one thing. He is a republican. Sheesh. Once upon a time we had two parties. Now we have one political party and one insurrection dipstick nutjob wacko group. Fun ahead? Doubtful. Thank you for your reply L. Gonna ask a queston about it! :)
      May 27, 2021 4:02 AM MDT

You know it can't be good when the opposition party only has one aim - to thwart anything and everything the other party wants to accomplish.  I don't see things getting better any time soon as long as the extremists on either side won't compromise.  
      May 27, 2021 7:47 AM MDT

Sigh. Ditto me too. I see no light at the end of that tunnel. I'd rather have one of our differences of opinion on this one honey. I know you would too. I honestly don't have a clue when or how or if anything will get better. Do you? Thank you for your reply L. Remember the line "we also serve who only sit and wait" or something like that?. What else is there for us to do but sit and wait and hope?. :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 27, 2021 7:54 AM MDT
      May 27, 2021 7:53 AM MDT

People who are committed to finding a solution to the problems of this country will manage to come up with a compromise.  It's pretty clear that the GOP's platform is "our way or the highway."  Not good for anyone.  Maybe if the GOP loses enough voters, they will realize that they need to be more inclusive or, maybe they will continue to take actions that prevent as many voters as possible from voting or continue to dispute election results.   
      May 27, 2021 7:59 AM MDT

"...they will realize that they need to be more inclusive...". That was what they said they learned about after Obama won. They needed to spread the tent to be more INCLUSIVE. What they are now is white supremacist fascist racist violent domestic terrorists themselves or they supported them or they turn away and try to ignore them. A sorry end to the party of Abraham Lincoln. Ironic. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 9, 2021 7:09 AM MDT
      June 4, 2021 7:05 AM MDT

They only want to enlarge the tent if the people who come inside are white. :)
      June 4, 2021 10:13 AM MDT

True be dat! Well it's working for them. Why fix what ain't broke? Time will tell. In your lifetime and mine hopefully! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      June 9, 2021 7:07 AM MDT