Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » ORIGINALS are always better than sequels or copycats. Any exception(s) to that in your opinion?

ORIGINALS are always better than sequels or copycats. Any exception(s) to that in your opinion?

Posted - June 4, 2021

Responses

Every cover of a Dylan original sounds better than Bob. Arguably the greatest lyricist in history (Nobel prizewinner in literature), but he can't sing and never could. The only thing he does worse than sing is "play" the harmonica.
      June 4, 2021 4:21 AM MDT

His "voice" if you can all it that is rotten lousy. I think you told me about his winning a Nobel prize in literature a few years ago which I did not know. For lyrics to his songs right? Yet I do think some folks LIKE to hear him sing. What they hear or are listening for I can't imagine. I like to hear WOODY GUTHRIE sing. "This land is my land. This land is your land." I don't think Arlo ever matched his dad. One of the greatest songs about America ever written in my opinion. Of course AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL isn't chopped liver I always kinda tear up when I hear "OVER THERE"."And we won't come back till it's over OVER THERE!" I'm sure there are similar uplifting songs about Australia. Any favorites? Thank you for your reply R! :) Irving Berlin. George M. Cohan. Rogers and Hammerstein! American composers. Who wrote songs about your country? This post was edited by RosieG at June 4, 2021 5:06 AM MDT
      June 4, 2021 5:04 AM MDT

Several writers including Andrew "Banjo" Paterson, Peter Allen, Iva Davies and Bruce Woodley of "The Seekers" fame.
    This one, co-written by Woodley and "Bushwhacker" Dobe Newton is my particular favourite and imo should be our National Anthem.

Do you prefer America the Beautiful to the current hymn to a blood-stained banner? Only the gung-ho Yanks could reference "bombs bursting in air" in their anthem, and frankly it makes your neighbours, us included, slightly nervous. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at June 5, 2021 2:27 AM MDT
      June 5, 2021 2:15 AM MDT

I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to that question. It's rhetorical correct? But what I do like? "Our flag was still there". I wonder what it feels like to have your country invaded and taken hostage and the flag of your country ripped down and the flag of the conqueror put in its place? That would be scarier to me by far. However it has already happened or the attempt happened and the only the ENEMY is us. The white supremacist fascist racist violent hate group insurrectionists already tried that gambit on January 6, 2021 carrying CONFEDEATE flags. The Confederates were, are and will always be TRAITORS to this country. Why they are growing in number and vehemence and vengeance and POWER I do not know. But perhaps it ties in to another question I asked. Are homo saps born evil? Is the evil tamped down with education to quell it? I don't know the answer to that question but it looms larger and louder every day here in the USA. It is scarifying and shocking and unbelievable what this country is becoming with the support of the people. I did not know such vile existed. I do now and it is very saddening. Thank you for your reply R. I'm going to ask if the folks are looking forward to the confederate flag replacing the stars and stripes. Run it up the flagpole as it were. See who salutes? Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 5, 2021 2:35 AM MDT

I quite like America the Beautiful and we share one of those seas, the Pacific. Our other "shining sea" is the Indian Ocean, rather than the Atlantic.
      June 5, 2021 2:54 AM MDT

What about winds? Gonna ask a question about them. Thank you for your reply R! :) Here goes! :)
      June 5, 2021 3:45 AM MDT

Star Trek Next Gen is better than the original. 
      June 4, 2021 5:36 AM MDT

How?
      June 5, 2021 3:45 AM MDT

Actors, storylines, effects....
      June 5, 2021 5:30 AM MDT

I didn't bother with it so I don't know. Thank you for your reply m2c. It's a matter of personal preference then. All you can do is give your opinion. Some will agree and some won't! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 5, 2021 5:39 AM MDT
      June 5, 2021 5:33 AM MDT

If you get BBC America several shows air daily.  M-F.

True it is just my opinion....but I believe it is shared by many as the original Star Trek only lasted 3 seasons and the Next Gen lasted 7 seasons.  This post was edited by my2cents at June 5, 2021 5:43 AM MDT
      June 5, 2021 5:37 AM MDT

Oh. I think we do get it. I'll check it out and see. If they do run I'll check one episode out. Thanks sweetie! :)
      June 5, 2021 5:43 AM MDT