Active Now

DannyPetti
CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I'm the first born having a younger sister. Are you a first born too? Is being one an asset or a liability? How so?

I'm the first born having a younger sister. Are you a first born too? Is being one an asset or a liability? How so?

Posted - June 14, 2021

Responses

I am the first born.  There are definitely disadvantages.  You're the first one growing up and testing your parents' rules.  The second, third kids don't have to buck the system quite as hard.  The advantages are that the eldest is usually the most responsible child, doesn't have to compete with an older sibling for attention, not one to live up to - we set the bar.
      June 14, 2021 8:06 AM MDT

EXACTLY! The marines who clear the land for the rest of the troops. I lived at home till I got married at 20. My sis moved out to live with a girlfriend at the age of 17. They both had good jobs for the time! But I'm comfy being me and I'm proud of her for being the person she.  So it worked out. I wonder whom I'd be had I been the "baby' and she were the older sister? Do you ever wonder too? Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 14, 2021 8:46 AM MDT
      June 14, 2021 8:41 AM MDT

I lived at home until I was 24.  I got tired of having to live by my parents' rules and decided it was time for me to leave the nest.  I never really gave any thought to how I might have turned out had I not been the first. :)
      June 14, 2021 8:43 AM MDT

I never had either until this very moment! Thank you for your reply sweetie! :)
      June 14, 2021 8:47 AM MDT

I don't usually do the "what if" because you can't change anything, so it really doesn't matter.
      June 14, 2021 9:25 AM MDT

I WHAT IF all the time but I've never what if'd about sequence of being born prior to this thread. It just popped up inside my head. From where I have no idea. I never do or rarely. So when questions occur to me I honor them by asking them. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      June 14, 2021 10:08 AM MDT

Different strokes ... :)
      June 14, 2021 10:43 AM MDT

I totally believe in that.
      June 14, 2021 11:56 AM MDT

Eldest of seven. The downside is that your parents make their mistakes on you. The upside is they allowed me more responsibility - I grew up a hell of a lot when I was 15.
      June 14, 2021 10:09 AM MDT

Wow. You're the oldest of 7. I bet they all look up to you even now when they're all grown up. What happened when you were 15 that you can share with us m'dear? Thank you for your reply R! :)
      June 14, 2021 11:57 AM MDT

Mum went to hospital with suspected cancer, then Dad collapsed at work. The four youngest were farmed out to extended family, but I was left with responsibility for my two eldest kid brothers - both of whom were bigger than me.
      June 14, 2021 6:12 PM MDT

Condolences retroactively to you m'dear. All of that happening and the results left for you to shoulder. Some of us get a lot thrown at us when we're young. Some of us just sail through our early lives without a hitch. That was a lot but I expect it helped shape you into the person you are today. You were a "dad" of sorts early on so when it was time for you to have your own kids you'd had a lot of practice. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! Are you closer to some of them than others? I just have one "baby" sister. The more the merrier? :)
      June 15, 2021 1:37 AM MDT

Closest to my baby brother, and only sister. My daughter is her doppelganger - they can swap clothes without a wrinkle, their voices are identical and they even share most of each other's mannerisms, despite not having spent a great deal of time in each other's company (tyranny of distance). They're so alike that my brother-in-law once mistook his niece for his wife (awkward).
      June 15, 2021 7:02 AM MDT

WoW! How awesome is that? My sis and I look nothing alike. Neither of us resemble any cousins or other relatives. I think having a mini you in the family would be swell. With celebrities for instance some sons look just like their dads...Kirk and Michael Douglas for instance. I wonder what causes that? There are always two sets of DNA that get together. I wonder why some couplings produce mini facsimiles and some not any at all? Is there some scientific basis for that? i know that brown eyes are dominant and blue are recessive but features? Thank you for your reply R! :) Gonna ask.
      June 16, 2021 4:48 AM MDT