Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I believe we're on the brink of worldwide drought. Will rationing of water have to be implemented? How would it be effected?

I believe we're on the brink of worldwide drought. Will rationing of water have to be implemented? How would it be effected?

Would the "water companies" allot each family so many gallons and simply cut you off when you reached yours?

Posted - June 20, 2021

Responses

It won't be worldwide, weather patterns don't work that way. When somebody doesn't get enough, somebody else gets too much - Traralgon in south-eastern Australia is currently flooded. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at June 21, 2021 4:22 PM MDT
      June 20, 2021 5:48 AM MDT

So ultimately there won't ever be universal drought then? Can places with overabundant water be siphoned off and redirected to places dying of "thirst"? Thank you for your reply R! :)
      June 20, 2021 5:50 AM MDT

There's a whole ocean in the way. That's how weather patterns work, particularly the "El Nino/La Niña" cycle. When California is in drought, south-east Asia is being deluged. Parts of Australia are flooded, Peru is parched.
      June 21, 2021 5:01 PM MDT

I know the earth had an ICE age R. And it was once flooded or mostly all water. So far there hasn't been a drought age? I know that sounds silly but lack of water has not yet been a problem? Converting ocean waer to potable water is possible correct? You can desalinate with ease? Is there any possible that it would stop raining for decades? Or are the weather patterns such that such a WHAT IF is impossible? Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      June 22, 2021 2:00 AM MDT

Remember, there is a large population that lives near water. The problem is the large population. When so many millions of people are sucking the Colorado River dry, that is a sign of overpopulation.                                  
      June 21, 2021 4:28 PM MDT

California is among the sucker uppers vis a vis the Colorado River. And we're told that with climate change/global warming seas will rise and many coastal states will be under water eventually. How long before that happens? I have no  idea. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      June 22, 2021 2:02 AM MDT

It is possible to produce potable water from sea-water, and some Arabic countries do that. It's also standard on ships. However that does require a fair amount of energy (usually as electricity).

I don't think there's any evidence we're heading for a world-wide drought. Rather, an intensifying of climate and weather patterns, with more extreme events.

' '

Despite the British Isles' reputation for rain to the extent of it being a source of self-deprecating humour, we do have droughts occasionally, though thankfully not usually more than a few weeks. The water companies in the UK can and sometimes have to issue hosepipe bans in lengthy dry spells, to stop people wasting water when it is short, mostly on watering flower-beds and lawns.

For years, we paid for our water by fixed tariffs assessed I think by house size and irrespective of amount used; but over the last few decades new homes and many older ones (like mine) have been fitted with water-meters to encourage economy with it. By them, you pay actually for the water used; plus a fixed charge for the sewerage service. The meter is external to the property so the reader doesn't need acces to your home.  
      June 23, 2021 4:32 PM MDT