Active Now

Spunky
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Sports » LOVE – 15 – 30 – 40 – What’s next? And why?

LOVE – 15 – 30 – 40 – What’s next? And why?

Category: Tennis Numbers.

Posted - October 28, 2016

Responses

• Maybe because the double zeros are reminiscent of breasts?   Or holes maybe?
      October 30, 2016 11:14 AM MDT

It is the French Lol.

I googled:
     In French, l'oeuf means egg. It sounds like love. A 0 looks like an egg so they say love This post was edited by my2cents at October 30, 2016 11:31 AM MDT
      October 30, 2016 11:27 AM MDT

• Eh, it's all coming together.   I went with sexual connotations based on their lusty  and libertine culture.
      October 30, 2016 11:31 AM MDT

Thank you 2cents. Interesting twist. I can't hear the French satiric imitation made by the British of a French person saying LOVE. Fantastic story. :-)
      October 30, 2016 11:41 AM MDT

• It's disputed but I think that probably has something to do with 'associations' too.  At a time when many would have had extremely limited levels of education, the concept of zero might be rather tricky to get across.  Hence it is proposed that the word l'ouef was used - 'egg', to represent zero.  Another possibility is that the word l'heure was used - 'hour' (and this fits nicely with the idea of the clock face as an early scoreboard).

Either way, once the English got their hands on the original word, accents happened followed inevitably by corruptions of the original.  Given that for many centuries certain strata of English society had a scandalised fascination with everything French, and that like most all-male gatherings inevitably found their view of the world defined by sex, we eventually get, 'love'.

I'm not sure it's that persuasive, but I'd go for the l'heure explanation if made to choose.
      October 30, 2016 12:08 PM MDT

:-)
      October 30, 2016 12:20 PM MDT